Unexpected

Justine55

Hello, I am new to the forum and chameleons. I have done a lot of research and ordered a 2-3 month old chameleon from FL Chams (driskel bloodline). At the time, I didnt see that I could've ordered a juvenile instead of a baby. The chameleon they sent is a lot smaller than I was prepared for. He looks around 4-6 weeks of age and is smaller than my index finger. I wanted to double check that my care is correct, as I know how fragile these babies are.

He is currently in a small Zilla screen cage ( I have a 2x2x4 for later). The cage is 5 ft off of the ground, top of the cage is around 7ft from the ground. I am feeding 1/4 in dubias and xs crickets. Gut loaded with repashy superload, carrots, oranges, and a mix of greens that I feed my bearded dragon. I dust with calcium without D3 every feeding and will alternate calcium w/ D3 and Vitamins every 2 weeks. I am using a 5.0 reptisun uvb light that is about 3in above the screen and 6in above the basking spot. At the moment I am not using a heat bulb. Temps at the basking spot are at 80⁰, 75⁰ at the bottom of the enclosure and 68⁰ at night. Humidity is at 50% during the day, 75% after misting (monsoon automatic mister set for 1 min twice a day), and 85-90% at night.

Please let me know if anything needs to change.

Attachments

• 20200924_124659.jpg
    20200924_124659.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 71
Hello, I am new to the forum and chameleons. I have done a lot of research and ordered a 2-3 month old chameleon from FL Chams (driskel bloodline). At the time, I didnt see that I could've ordered a juvenile instead of a baby. The chameleon they sent is a lot smaller than I was prepared for. He looks around 4-6 weeks of age and is smaller than my index finger. I wanted to double check that my care is correct, as I know how fragile these babies are.

He is currently in a small Zilla screen cage ( I have a 2x2x4 for later). The cage is 5 ft off of the ground, top of the cage is around 7ft from the ground. I am feeding 1/4 in dubias and xs crickets. Gut loaded with repashy superload, carrots, oranges, and a mix of greens that I feed my bearded dragon. I dust with calcium without D3 every feeding and will alternate calcium w/ D3 and Vitamins every 2 weeks. I am using a 5.0 reptisun uvb light that is about 3in above the screen and 6in above the basking spot. At the moment I am not using a heat bulb. Temps at the basking spot are at 80⁰, 75⁰ at the bottom of the enclosure and 68⁰ at night. Humidity is at 50% during the day, 75% after misting (monsoon automatic mister set for 1 min twice a day), and 85-90% at night.

Please let me know if anything needs to change.
Hi there. How is the baby doing with the 1/4 inch sized feeders? Your going to feed as much as he wants at this age.

Just to clarify... For supplements calcium without D3 at all feedings except 1 day a week you will rotate with the multivitamin and the Calcium with D3. Make sure your multivitamin does not have D3 in it as well. So that these two are used twice a month each.

Temps are right. Correct on not providing heat. I would consider adding a dripper if your only able to mist 2 times a day. Just to ensure that the baby has access to water.

Just to clarify on the T5HO with 5.0 bulb. So you want a total of 9 inches to basking with this one. So if the fixture is lifted 3 inches then you want a 6 inch drop from the screen down to basking branch. :)

Thank you for the reply!

I am picking out the smallest dubias I can find (I breed my own). I noticed that he didn't eat much, so I went and bought the pinhead crickets. Today is the first day with the crickets, so I will see if he likes those better. I have only had him since Tuesday.

As for the supplements, that is correct. I think i worded that part weird.

I have a small dripper that I can set up, or I can have the mister go off more often. Which would be best?

I will raise the uvb to 9 in from the basking spot!

Thank you for the reply!

I am picking out the smallest dubias I can find (I breed my own). I noticed that he didn't eat much, so I went and bought the pinhead crickets. Today is the first day with the crickets, so I will see if he likes those better. I have only had him since Tuesday.

As for the supplements, that is correct. I think i worded that part weird.

I have a small dripper that I can set up, or I can have the mister go off more often. Which would be best?

I will raise the uvb to 9 in from the basking spot!
If you have a feeder run this might be easier as well. More then likely he has never seen dubia. I would just toss these in but do heavier on the crickets since he knows what they are.

I would personally do the dripper on a plants leaves. Slow rate drip. Better then misting the whole enclosure too frequently. you don't want it to stay wet all day because it needs to dry out during the day.

This is a great resource as well. :) https://chameleonacademy.com/

Hes growing some. Should be about 3 months now.

Attachments

• 20201115_143237.jpg
    20201115_143237.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201115_143222.jpg
    20201115_143222.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom