Unexpected Baby Jackson's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy All,

I got a phone call from a distressed keeper-acquaintance who didn't expect babies, let alone 12 of them, from the female Jackson's that he got from a local reptile store a while back. I caught hell from my wife :( for taking them in until either he or I can find responsible buyers for them. I've got them split into two enclosures (out'a room to set-up more) with Dwarf Schefflera plants in both. They're setup with their own nozzles plumbed-in from the automated system that supports my chameleons. I'd prefer to split them into more enclosures but... I'll be making phone calls to a couple of the other local reptile stores that are equipped and capable of keeping these less than a week-old critters.

Night-night.
BabyJacksons.jpg

They're jacksonii xanth right? If they happen to be C. j.j. I'm also in So Cal and would be interested.

Howdy Hairfarm,

I just don't really know which Jackson's they are. I haven't seen the female or the male parents. The quick hand-over happened in the middle of the street :(. (I'm terrible at chameleon I.D.s especially babies:eek:) I don't think that the keeper knows and I doubt that the store knows either. You're welcome to look in person if it helps :). I'm in Manhattan Beach, CA. I expect them to be priced at under market value and available to competent keepers, LOCAL PICKUP ONLY, right away. There's certainly not anything that I'm doing that any capable keeper with neonate experience can't do so the survival rate will not be any better with me than going with them.

What would that price be? And which are you closedt to. San Diego or Burbank?
Howdy Pj (and others),

Funny, I just drove back from San Diego:(. I'm about 120 miles from S.D. and about 30 miles from Burbank. If you are driving to/from those two cities and you take the 405 fwy then you will be less than 10 minutes from my house.

I've been told that baby Jackson's tend to be more difficult to keep alive during the 0-3 month growth period than panthers and veileds. Anyone who is really SERIOUS about making a "go of it" and thinks that they are up for the challenge can contact me directly at [email protected]

Don't let my very cheap price of $15 ea. (helps cover food costs) sucker you into jumping at the deal without thinking through the added cost and effort needed for a baby like this. I've read and have been told that you won't want to expose these babies to much above 80F and really mid 70F is supposed to be better. A nighttime drop into the 60's range is supposed to be best too.

Don't forget that this is "pick-up" only, no shipping.

Warning! I'm selling these at an age that is much younger than I want to or should be and I really warn all that this will be a risky undertaking. I'm trying to help this other guy out and at least give them a shot at survival but I can't keep them for the 3 months that I feel would be best. (Remember, I caught hell from my wife when she found out that I was up to my old ways of taking-in wayward chameleons :rolleyes:.)

Last night's latest photo:
Jacksons_2.jpg

Your wife is a lucky woman to have a man that would rise to the occasion and take care of the little ones like you have. I commend you.
I am looking at either the late afternoon of the 28th, Saturday....(driving from San Diego to Burbank) Or Sunday morning from Burbank. 28th. Will you be holding on until then? That's 10 days away for me... and I'm looking at two to go. Can you sex them? But I am in the process of talking my counterpart into this.... so.... I'll get back to you within 24 hours on this, maybe sooner.

I've been told that baby Jackson's tend to be more difficult to keep alive during the 0-3 month growth period than panthers and veileds.

Unfortunately very true. In fact, in speaking with the Kammers recelently I learned that they consider all live-bearers difficult to raise up until even the 5 month mark. It is certainly not impossible, by any means, but some clutches do very well and then start dropping off, one by one. Can't beat $15 for a good chance at having a healthy adult jacksonii though...

Hey Dave, how often do you get down to SD? Next time you're here and if you have a free moment (and are willing to bring it) I'd like to see the difference between my 1st and your 2nd edition of the Necas book. I've got some empty outdoor cagespace if you need a hand with the babies too but as you know xanths are not where I want to go long-term so I wouldn't want to keep them indefinetely. Speak to ya later...

...I am looking at either the late afternoon of the 28th, Saturday....(driving from San Diego to Burbank) Or Sunday morning from Burbank. 28th. Will you be holding on until then? That's 10 days away for me... and I'm looking at two to go. Can you sex them? But I am in the process of talking my counterpart into this.... so.... I'll get back to you within 24 hours on this, maybe sooner.
Howdy,

Sunday the 29th would be best for the critters. We can zero-in on availability when you know more about things in 24hrs :). I think I should be able to tell male/female by their little horns that are coming-in.

...Hey Dave, how often do you get down to SD? Next time you're here and if you have a free moment (and are willing to bring it) I'd like to see the difference between my 1st and your 2nd edition of the Necas book. I've got some empty outdoor cagespace if you need a hand with the babies too but as you know xanths are not where I want to go long-term so I wouldn't want to keep them indefinetely. Speak to ya later...
Howdy,

My business trips to SD are purely random from once a week to once every other month :). Usually it's into the 5/805 fwy triangle of high-tech firms and not so much past that area. But if I am going to be farther down that direction, I'd be happy to show you the book! If you make it to the Anaheim Show in September, you'll see they guy selling them there.

Howdy All,

Looks like as of this afternoon, all of the 12 babies are spoken for. Those of you who contacted me and have not yet made your final decision, I'll be closing-off availability this coming weekend. All that are not gone by then are being purchased by a breeder-friend of mine :). None too soon, as far as my wife is concerned :rolleyes:. Empty nest syndrome is soon to return :(:). Four of them were placed with keepers and it'll be exciting to see how these critters do. All have been thoroughly informed of the risk with Jax this young and all are up to the challenge. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom