Ummm?

Okay it looks real nasty now after his bath. Its like on one side now. I'm going to find the closest vet how much do you think it would cost for this kind of procedure? So I know?

I don't know. It depends on the vet. The exam can be 35-75 and then get an estimate for everything else from there. You can apply for care credit at the vets if necessary.

He has his first available appointment saturday at 9am i hope it dont get worse til then. Its got horrible
1005171352b.jpg

Ask them to call you if there are any cancellations.
Keep soaking it several times a day 1/3 sugar 2/3 water or apply full strength honey. Keep it coated with KY or triple antibiotic ointment in between. I've heard feeding pears can be good for constipation in chameleon's.

A prolapse is a medical emergency. You need to deal with it ASAP or the chameleon will likely die. He can't poop when he's that swollen and if the area is left without some KY jelly to keep it moist it will become necrotic (die) and then the chameleon will be in even more trouble.

Don't everybody shoot me for this, cuz it's just a shot in the dark that worked for me with a snake. We were having a super tough time financially some years back and were near foreclosure and weren't really eating much yet I was still buying mice for my snakes. Anyway I had a female corn with a small prolapse and I kept it lubed and thought, what the Heck, it can't hurt at this point and I tried preparation H. In this case it did work, but I'm not really sure if it was safe for her. She did go on to live many more years and gave me some very nice clutches too. Just a thought, but I'm sure the vet is better. But maybe this could help reduce swelling until somebody could see him? Anyway, best of luck to you.

Thanks everyone for the replys it really means alot to me and to weebo! He has a sceduled appointment saturday morning early! I wanted to do emergency check in but there was no reptile doctors around my area that are free at that time. Im keeping it lubed up til then he seems fine for now eating and drinking exc but i know hes in pain. I will keep everybody updated and posted on what the doc says and does. Its only been a day but still we just hope it isnt surgery because its pretty swollen up. But anyways thanks again ttu all soon.

Well they said its not surgical yet...If it dont go back in by monday or tuesday then it will be. They gave me antibotic drops for him to take twice a day by mouth also I have to give him a bath with ebsom mouth and make a sugar paste put its on his sack and wrap him like a diaper and seen if that helps

You mean Epsom salts? What antibiotic?
Good luck.

In my experience, usually the vet keeps the chameleon and shrinks the prolapse and puts it back inside the chameleon and uses purse string sutures to ensure it doesn't pop out again while the chameleon heals.

You mean Epsom salts? What antibiotic?
Good luck.

In my experience, usually the vet keeps the chameleon and shrinks the prolapse and puts it back inside the chameleon and uses purse string sutures to ensure it doesn't pop out again while the chameleon heals.
Yess epsom salt. My auto check likes getting the best of me. And no they didnt keep him just told me to do those things to try and see if it heals and goes back in on its own. The drops are called clinda-guard

That's clyindamyacin.
One more thing to mention...when a chameleon prolapses it can develop a yeast or fungal infection in that area...don't know if your vet would know this or not...so if your chameleon takes a turn for the worse that could be part of the reason.

Back
Top Bottom