Umbrella Plant Safe?

HMills94

Got a Shefflera Actinophylla for Morrison he loves it and was drinking water off the leaves, then i read that they could be toxic :/ Does anyone have a definate answer about this?? hes not eating it at all just basking and drinking water off leaves??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 686
That looks like the one with droopier and longer leaves? (sorry pictures aren't working yay XD) Just for my net it hates me, anyway if it is, yes it is the one that is totally toxic and unsafe. He also looks relatively young? Less than a year? He likely won't be eating tons of foliage until he's around 9-12 months.

That looks like the one with droopier and longer leaves? (sorry pictures aren't working yay XD) Just for my net it hates me, anyway if it is, yes it is the one that is totally toxic and unsafe. He also looks relatively young? Less than a year? He likely won't be eating tons of foliage until he's around 9-12 months.
yeah hes just a baby about 3-4 months old i took the plant from him and just got him a big pothos seems to be the only safe plant lol i feel like everything is toxic!! lol

There is a different type of schefflera that is like a pothos where they can eat it just fine. They are usually found in smaller forms, but when you get a large one that are more bushy than the type you have and generally make a better kind of... Forest by their own XD I love scheffleras just got to get the right kind. Sadly most home depot's and larger type stores like it that provide our plants sometimes , honestly don't know much about the different subspecies? Of their plants. Lol the schefflera you will be looking for are often called variegated and can be found in a white/green color and also just plain green. They have shorter leaves (more oval instead of elongated) no real point to it, and generally have more branches. Lemme see if I can find a good picture of the type I am talking about. Don't use weeping figs/ficus with veileds if they ever eat the sap it does have the possibility of causing extreme nausea.

They are great plants for chameleons. I have one in virtually everyone of my cages. Now I don't keep veiled chameleons which are known to eat the foliage at times but I did have a few panthers eat the leafs in the past and there was no adverse affects. I recommend these plants all the time and I'm sure your chameleons will love it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schefflera_arboricola

You are looking specifically for the schefflera mentioned in this link. You might want to look at multiple images of smaller/potted plants and they can grow rather huge in the ground and can look a bit different when in pots. Generally they are amazing plants. Love them. They do require a bit more light than pothos. I have also use camellia bushes. I am sometimes lucky enough to find some around 3 feet around here that are being trained to be the tree/bush thing. Those are completely safe and the flowers which eagerly bud under normal uvb, I had mine about 1-2 years, are usually readily accepted by vegetation eaters.

They are great plants for chameleons. I have one in virtually everyone of my cages. Now I don't keep veiled chameleons which are known to eat the foliage at times but I did have a few panthers eat the leafs in the past and there was no adverse affects. I recommend these plants all the time and I'm sure your chameleons will love it.
that exact species? because he really liked it and i feel bad for taking it away from him :(

that exact species? because he really liked it and i feel bad for taking it away from him :(
I don't know the exact species to be honest but I have quite a few different species of them with my chameleons as the leafs and growing patterns are certainly different. If it is a Schefflera (Which it appears to be) I wouldn't worry at all and let him keep his plant :)

I
I don't know the exact species to be honest but I have quite a few different species of them with my chameleons as the leafs and growing patterns are certainly different. If it is a Schefflera (Which it appears to be) I wouldn't worry at all and let him keep his plant :)
I had an umbrella plant like that and my Cham never spent time on it. Heard it wasn't the right kind so I went to Lowe's and they had some of the kinds Andee is talking about and now he chills On it all the time. Not an expert but better to be safe than sorry!

Back
Top Bottom