Ugh petco and petsmart...

I know I shouldn’t be in this store, but I wandered in because I knew they had chams. Look at this beauty. But it kills me.. look at the humidity gauge :mad: bottom of first picture... 20%

Attachments

• A7178542-F1AB-4717-ACEE-D237B8288D18.jpeg
    A7178542-F1AB-4717-ACEE-D237B8288D18.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 296C1E07-86A3-4C02-AD40-23FA04026626.jpeg
    296C1E07-86A3-4C02-AD40-23FA04026626.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 179
Just got back from 'dog school' for my Great Dane pup. There was a tiny little chameleon. Employees were checking it out. I was watching, and the little guy had an obvious RI, sores on a back foot, and multiple healing broken ribs, along with sunken eyes. They normally take decent care of their chams there (aside from lighting and cage size) but this one just looked miserable. It really is a shame.

One of the reasons I got Stella is I had to go to Petco for 2 consecutive days. Both days she was digging in the mud of her tank, same dirty water bowl with empty dripper, same dead mealworms in bowl. Talked to manager 1st day who gave me company line BS. 2nd day talked to employee who gave me more BS. Being freshly vulnerable from human ignorance killing a beautiful and protected tortoise, I caved and bought her half price. No regrets (love my Stella) but I can’t/won’t go into or buy from those stores anymore.

What I meant by " they take decent care of their chams there" is they handfeed, mist properly, no waterbowls, branches and fake foliage. much better than I have seen before, and they seem to genuinely care about them, despite improper cage size and lighting. Their chams normally look physically okay, but this specific one looked very sick. Though I would never buy a cham from there, nonetheless.

One of the reasons I got Stella is I had to go to Petco for 2 consecutive days. Both days she was digging in the mud of her tank, same dirty water bowl with empty dripper, same dead mealworms in bowl. Talked to manager 1st day who gave me company line BS. 2nd day talked to employee who gave me more BS. Being freshly vulnerable from human ignorance killing a beautiful and protected tortoise, I caved and bought her half price. No regrets (love my Stella) but I can’t/won’t go into or buy from those stores anymore.
This is where I got my girl too! But I had no idea about chams then, I learned everything from here. But now I’m so glad I was able to take her in and give her a better life!

I will be honest, I go all over the place and see situations like this all the time in pet shops, not just big box stores. I see females eggbound, In small glass enclosures, without proper lighting, hydration, humidity, and so on. I have gone to reptile expos and seen chameleons with deformities, and breeders with no clue what they are doing. Its sad but what can you do? Its best just not to buy from these people/places. Not every place is bad and not every person is bad. It is up to us as educated consumers to stop them by stopping the market. how do we do that? just do not buy from them. without a market they will stop because they do not make any profit from it. Of course that is easier said than done because so many people buy without educating themselves first. Petco and others are not bad places either they are just not equipped for "special needs pets". I still shop at them for quick supplies. I just do not buy animals there. I also do not see anything wrong with them selling other things like leopard geckos that do not have the same level of difficulty. Even then though I would still not buy because you have no idea on its lineage. Breeders are still the best way to go for reptiles but even then you have to take caution.

Back
Top Bottom