Ugh! Confused what to get!

jenfur427

Established Member
There is a reptile show in St Louis on June 11th and I would love to get a cham if I have everything set up in time. I'm looking at the starter kit from Reptile Depot (comes with Aluminum Screen Cage 30x16x16, Moss,Island Hood, 5.0 UVB Bulb, Basking Lite, Spray Bottle,Miner-All, Ceramic Dome, Dripper, Thermometer and a Live Ficus Tree for $139) but you can upgrade the cage size. Eventually I want to have a 24x24x48 cage (which is one of the options on reptile Depot, with everything listed above for $200) but since I don't know what cham I'll want to get, I don't know what size cage to get. I know that you don't want to have a baby cham in an adult cage (hard to find food, heat, etc) but don't want to get too small of a cage either. Would you get the starter cage (30x16x16) or the larger one, since I don't know the size of the cham? Has anyone been to one of these shows? What's the average size of the chams there? We've been to the shows before, but just to look at snakes (we're always been snake people, but want to add a cham to the family). WWYD?

Scrap the moss. Do not use a substrate.

Generally only younglings will be sold. 2-6 months, and rarely adults (Up north at least) so you should get the smaller cage. Also, most people find it best to raise them from a young age.

However, you never said anything about the species you are interested in.

Looking to get a panther, whichever one doesn't matter, I think they're all beautiful. I know the moss is a no-no, but hubby can use it with his snake, so it won't go to waste. So I should go ahead an plan on getting the 30x16x16, and when the cham is around a year old or so (according to the cage recommendation on Screameleons) I can upgrade to the 24x24x48 cage, right?

Age isn't a good enough measurement to when a new cage should be bought, but rather size. You should realize when it will be needed on your own, if you are buying young panther, as you will see it live and grow.

I suggest only buying chameleons that are a few inches in size, snout to vent. They will be easier to raise, and less risk.

Back
Top Bottom