UFB -- Unidentified Flying Bugs in my Dubia Colony

MeruJack

Avid Member
I have had a Dubia colony for more than a year. This week I noticed that more than a few flying beetles have moved into the neighborhood (which just happens to be a very large lidded Rubbermaid tub). They are pretty small and can fly but are easy to capture mid-flight. Since the tub always has a lid on it (with a screened "window"), I am wondering if the first ones came in with the food (dried or fresh veggies). Does anyone know what kind of bug this is??? Thanks!

BUG.PNG

I have had a Dubia colony for more than a year. This week I noticed that more than a few flying beetles have moved into the neighborhood (which just happens to be a very large lidded Rubbermaid tub). They are pretty small and can fly but are easy to capture mid-flight. Since the tub always has a lid on it (with a screened "window"), I am wondering if the first ones came in with the food (dried or fresh veggies). Does anyone know what kind of bug this is??? Thanks!

View attachment 159047

Dermestid beetle. People use these as part of a cleaning crew. I have these and lesser mealworms in all my tubs. They eat any dead roaches and help keep the cage clean. Dubia colonies do a lot better with these in my experience.

I have heard of those before and about 5 weeks ago I purchased some fresh breeders to add to my colony so they must have arrived with them. As long as my teenage daughter doesn't find out about them....all is well. :eek: Thanks!!:)

Back
Top Bottom