Type of branches

ChameLeon_

Helloo, so I'm finally setting up the enclosure, and i looked around outside for some nice natural branches. Found this lot chopped up on a pile right outside, it should be from a small tree called Rhus Copallina (the one with red things on it). I tried to search online, but didn't find anything chameleon related, so i thought I'll ask here. Is it by any chance safe for veiled chameleon as his branches? They are various lengths, shapes and diameters which i think would be suitable, but i don't know about the tree. Thank you for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_142444.jpg
    IMG_20230113_142444.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 50
So your going to search the tree type for toxicity and sap. I did a search quickly and did not find anything alarming. I would clean the branches though if they have been sitting there. Could have little friends on them.

So your going to search the tree type for toxicity and sap. I did a search quickly and did not find anything alarming. I would clean the branches though if they have been sitting there. Could have little friends on them.
Thank youuu! what type of cleaning tho, since some will be large i wont be able to bake them or boil them i assume.

Thank youuu! what type of cleaning tho, since some will be large i wont be able to bake them or boil them i assume.
I wash all mine down with dawn soap and hot water. You can use a scrub brush with plastic bristles like for washing pots. This will remove any debris that might be stuck on them. Rinse the heck out of them after. Since it is winter you may not be able to lay them out in the sun to dry so you can lay out a sheet in your house and lay them all on it.

Trim back any small frail branches. And any sharp pieces as well. If any feel like the strength is compromised don't use those ones. You want strong hard pieces.

Another piece of advice is to make sure the branches aren't too thick. I see a lot of people put in super thick branches that are difficult for their chameleon to climb on. Ideally your chameleon can wrap their foot around the branch.

Thank youu, great advice as always!

I wash all mine down with dawn soap and hot water. You can use a scrub brush with plastic bristles like for washing pots. This will remove any debris that might be stuck on them. Rinse the heck out of them after. Since it is winter you may not be able to lay them out in the sun to dry so you can lay out a sheet in your house and lay them all on it.

Trim back any small frail branches. And any sharp pieces as well. If any feel like the strength is compromised don't use those ones. You want strong hard pieces.
Another piece of advice is to make sure the branches aren't too thick. I see a lot of people put in super thick branches that are difficult for their chameleon to climb on. Ideally your chameleon can wrap their foot around the branch.

Allright so i collected the branches and was going to wash them down and all, and noticed some of them being hairy like on the picture. I think it might be because they grew this year so they're still new, because other parts of the same branch are not hairy like this. Will that be a problem? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230116_155127.jpg
    IMG_20230116_155127.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 37
Allright so i collected the branches and was going to wash them down and all, and noticed some of them being hairy like on the picture. I think it might be because they grew this year so they're still new, because other parts of the same branch are not hairy like this. Will that be a problem? Thanks!
I personally wouldnt use the ones that have the hairy stuff.. Just because you do not know if it will hold moisture or if it will irritate the chams feet. Not to mention if it could irritate the chams eyes if they rub on them.

I personally wouldnt use the ones that have the hairy stuff.. Just because you do not know if it will hold moisture or if it will irritate the chams feet. Not to mention if it could irritate the chams eyes if they rub on them.
It is a very soft hair, almost like fur. I will try to wash it down and scrub them to see how it ends up, maybe most of it will come down with a little scrub.

It is a very soft hair, almost like fur. I will try to wash it down and scrub them to see how it ends up, maybe most of it will come down with a little scrub.
Up to you... I am a freak when it comes to what I put in the cage. I worry about every detail lol

I use a type of oak with smooth bark, it's easy to clean and I just put them in the suntanning bed to dry out in a couple of hours

Back
Top Bottom