two yemens in one viv

sure you can - if you give them the space they need. However, anything big enough probably wouldnt' be caled a vivarium anymore. For 1:2, the smallest size I got to work (excluding breeding times) was a 12'x8'x8' outdoor cage.

This is both cool and weird to me at the same time.
For one, Ive always wanted to do like a green house sized enclosure so I could feel like I was in with them instead of them in with me.

But then on the other hand, why is it that two veiled in the same cage require so much space, but when housed separately are fine in smaller cages.

Because when they're caged separately, they can't see each other. To be "together", they have to have plenty of space to define their individual territories. You would probably find that each would pick a different end of the room and not really venture close to the "middle ground".

In the wild if one chameleon comes across another they can move away from each other...when in a small cage or even one the size of a bathroom, they are limited in how far they can get away from each other. If they can't get far enough away from each other, then the stress of having to react to each other puts the immune system down....and eventually one will likely die.

Some species have been reported to be able to stay closer without problems though...but if you don't recognize the sometimes silent signs that the stress is taking its toll you might find health issues follow.

I agree with all the above post. The only time you could really put them together is breeding, and when they are babies, but only like a few per cage. Like everyone else said, they need space. Especially if they are both males. They will get stressed if they see each other. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom