two different kinds of chameleons in one vivarium?

SweetAs

hi there,

just had a question really as i am new to the forums and i already have a veiled chameleon and she is lovely.

my question is can you keep two of them together in the same vivarium??

and can you keep two different kinds of chameleons in the same vivarium??

No and No! Chameleons are solitary animals. It can cause un-needed stress on them if you house them together. It is recommended that they be housed separate and with no view of each other if in the same room.

If they are both female veilds and about the same size you can, its better to have them in their own cages but it can be done.

Definitely no. Lots of people have more than one, but I don't think anyone on here is keeping them together.

I do not recommend that even two veiled female be kept together....more than likely one or both will go downhill.

it was just a curious question thats all, not going to get another one :)

didnt think you could but thought i would ask :)

thanks people

I do not recommend that even two veiled female be kept together....more than likely one or both will go downhill.

You can, i dont recommend it but i know of someone who has kept all their females 2 to a cage. This person has never had a problem with doing this in the past 10 years or so, like i said you can but its always better to have one per cage.

I remember reading that some of the smaller chameleons can be kept together? I'm not sure which they were though...maybe one of the more experienced keepers can answer this.

There are a few species that are considered to be communal or somewhat communal.
There are also keepers of these species who keep them individually and recommend doing so.
Depending on who you talk to, there may be no species that are communal.
Mellerii can be kept in groups with a proper (large) set up that allows individuals to separate themselves from each other.
A couple of others would be:
Rudis
Some pygmies

Keeping any species of chameleon in a group situation requires a good deal of experience and an ability to "read" the animals.
It is almost never okay to keep males of any species together.

All species can be kept well by themselves.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom