Two bulbs for chameleon?

Chameleonhavinman

I recently got a chameleon, I’ve had him for about 2 weeks he is a 4 month old. The cage I keep him in came was in a set, and part of the set was a 2 bulb socket lamp packaged with a UVA and UVB bulb without heat and a UVA bulb with heat. Is it ok to have them both, since it is technically double UVA? Or does it even work that way? He seems perfectly healthy after 2 whole weeks under it, but I just want to make sure.
image.jpg

I got bad news...

The UVB bulb is pretty much useless. The curly ones just bounce the light off themselves, and very little gets into the cage. So get rid of it and swap it for a linear tube from arcadia or zoomed.

And the other bulb is just good for heat/basking. Its not "putting out UVA", its just putting out light. Its a standard light bulb that is colored. YOu can however keep the fixture and use it for basking lights.

I got bad news...

The UVB bulb is pretty much useless. The curly ones just bounce the light off themselves, and very little gets into the cage. So get rid of it and swap it for a linear tube from arcadia or zoomed.

And the other bulb is just good for heat/basking. Its not "putting out UVA", its just putting out light. Its a standard light bulb that is colored. YOu can however keep the fixture and use it for basking lights.
Well dang, thank you. I guess I’m going to get a different uvb bulb then, and the uva it said on both the packages that it emits uva rays so that doesn’t matter?

UVA is virtually irreverent as something to consider. They just put that stuff on the box so you say “wow, lol at everything this bulb does!” It’s just a selling point....

Last edited:
Well dang, thank you. I guess I’m going to get a different uvb bulb then, and the uva it said on both the packages that it emits uva rays so that doesn’t matter?

UVA light helps regulate behaviors such as feeding, diurnal movement, mating and similar activities.
UVB light allows the synthesis of vitamin D3, which helps to absorb calcium.
UVC light is not required for reptiles, but it can help kill bacteria. It’s important to note that at high levels of exposure this light can be harmful to most animals.

What they dont tell you, is UVA is code for natural light. All "house" / incandent / halogen lights produce UVA. The only thing that doesnt produce UVA is LEDS and florescent lights. UVB florescent bulbs have extra phosphors that produce UVB/UVA, "normal" florescent bulbs just have 3-4 phosphors that produce red/green/blue like a TV or cell phone screen, and then your eyeballs interpret that as "white".

Reptiles see in the UVA range. Where our eyes see in what we call the "visible range". I imagine without UVA it would be like seeing in only black and white and gray for them?

Reptiles see in the UVA range. Where our eyes see in what we call the "visible range". I imagine without UVA it would be like seeing in only black and white and gray for them?

Yup. Its why some lizards have small panic attacks when you start bringing them out side for the first time. because now this big ugly human is covered in UVA light. You look completely different to them now, and some of the lizards will attack "this new person/thing" the first time they see them, or run at mach 4 speeds.

Some of the larger lizards like tegus/monitors/iguanas have been know to bum rush their owners the first time outside, because they have no clue who this new person holding them is.

Yup. Its why some lizards have small panic attacks when you start bringing them out side for the first time. because now this big ugly human is covered in UVA light. You look completely different to them now, and some of the lizards will attack "this new person/thing" the first time they see them, or run at mach 4 speeds.

Some of the larger lizards like tegus/monitors/iguanas have been know to bum rush their owners the first time outside, because they have no clue who this new person holding them is.
This explains so much^! I always thought they were just pissed when it came time to go back inside!

UVA light helps regulate behaviors such as feeding, diurnal movement, mating and similar activities.
UVB light allows the synthesis of vitamin D3, which helps to absorb calcium.
UVC light is not required for reptiles, but it can help kill bacteria. It’s important to note that at high levels of exposure this light can be harmful to most animals.

What they dont tell you, is UVA is code for natural light. All "house" / incandent / halogen lights produce UVA. The only thing that doesnt produce UVA is LEDS and florescent lights. UVB florescent bulbs have extra phosphors that produce UVB/UVA, "normal" florescent bulbs just have 3-4 phosphors that produce red/green/blue like a TV or cell phone screen, and then your eyeballs interpret that as "white".
Ahh I see thank you that’s very helpful

Back
Top Bottom