Turtles have started coming into my life!

Hey everyone. Well as some of you know i have a yellow bellied slider and a red bellied cooter that were flushed onto my backyard and streets after a huge storm and they are growing and are doing very well. Well today i was walking home from my bus stop, and i see a group of little kids playing with a baby turtle in the street. So me and my friend went over there to see what they were doing and they were trying to kill this little guy. :mad: They said it was walking around the streets and almost got ran over 5 times and some how miraculously survived. I took the little thing home to see if i can help the little guy out and i realized this was no ordinary turtle. I think its some kind of Long Neck Turtle because its neck is..long. :p Any turtle experts...please feel free to chime in. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures of my little aquatic friends.:D

Picture 1 of the new guy
hg.jpg

Picture 2 of the new guy
j.jpg

Picture of my two other turtles
k-2.png

I used to have one of those up top idk if that's the turtle your talking about haha but those are soft-shell turtles you usually find those in pet stores poor guy :(

It is a FL Soft Shelled Turtle. Its young too. As it gets older, it will lose all those attrative markings. FL SS turtles get HUGE! Cute find. There very common so theres no issue in keeping it in my opinion.

All of your turtles will get quite big in the upcoming years. Hopefully you are prepared for their housing requirements in the future. Remember the rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water for every inch of turtle (shell carapace length). Full growns will require possibly over a 100 gallon tank to properly house them! ;)

Yep, thats a softie (A. ferox) they wont eat lettuce or any other vegetable matter. Strictly carnivorous. They've always been a favorite of mine, a female made her way under Titan's cage and laid eggs before I put tiles under there. Months later there were several babies all over the yard :p. I think I made a thread a while back about one that was on the side of the road, you can go take a look to get a size comparasin. They do get HUGE.

Thanks for the info everyone! My two older turtles are in a 20 galloon for now. They are both males to what I know. Thank goodness they are smaller then females lol. The Softshell on the other hand may be a girl and I'm REALLY HOPING she's a male lol.

Danny- Can you put a link for that thread? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom