Trying to figure out the age of my Veiled

Tomkat13

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, and a new chameleon owner. I just got a veiled chameleon a week ago and I'm trying to figure out how old he is. The guy at the pet store said he was around 4 and a half months old. He seems really big for that age though. He is over 12 in long with tail right now. I'd say closer to 14 in. If anyone could tell me how old they think he is that would be great. Thanks Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I love veileds and have a young male named Sage. Where did you get this little guy? He looks to be about 3 months old. He's kind of skinny and his casque looks a little off but maybe it's just the picture. May sure you have all the correct lighting and supplements and be sure to gut load all of his feeders. I bet some worms would put some weight on him. I would also recommend a fecal to rule out parasites. I'm attaching a link to my blog for general care below. Be sure to ask any questions you might have. There's plenty of knowledgeable members here to help.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Thanks for response. I got him at a local pet store last week. I don't think they were feeding him enough. I have been feeding him twice a day since I've had him. Anywhere from 8-15 crickets and 3-10 mealworms. The crickets are gut loaded with calcium food. I have a basking light and a uv-b light currently. He is in a 36in tall cage by 18 in wide. What else should I be feeding him/crickets? Should I have any other lights?

That pic was also from when I first got him. He is a little more plumped up now. Thanks for all the info

Thanks for response. I got him at a local pet store last week. I don't think they were feeding him enough. I have been feeding him twice a day since I've had him. Anywhere from 8-15 crickets and 3-10 mealworms. The crickets are gut loaded with calcium food. I have a basking light and a uv-b light currently. He is in a 36in tall cage by 18 in wide. What else should I be feeding him/crickets? Should I have any other lights?

What kind of UVB light do you have? What supplements are you using? You should be gutloading with fresh fruits and veggies. Mealworms are not the best feeders. I would recommend silkworms, butterworms, superworms, phoenix worms and hornworms. Roaches, flies and moths are also good.

If you will check out the links above you can get allot of good info to get him on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom