Trying to eat corkbark?

Hyokenseisou

Not sure if even constitutes as a problem or maybe it's just a weird quirk he has?

7 Month male ambilobe panther, completely healthy happy and normal. Bright colours, eats a variety of bugs (mainly silks) like a tank, huge healthy poops. Gets dusting, ubv, heat, everything. Not my first time owning a cham, but certainly first time I've seen this behavior. I mean dirt I could understand, but bark?

He has a couple of piece of corkbark in his enclosure (at like an 30% angle for him to climb and such), and every so often (maybe once a week, if that?) I'll hear this loud munching sound. I look and it's him trying to chew the bark (via side of mouth because front is too pointy for doing that). He's not even GETTING any of the bark off to eat, and is not doing ANY damages to him or his mouth. And he'll only ever take like 2-5 slow bites at it, or until he spots me spotting him and stops. (that being said, I can't even film him doing it).
There's no bug on the spot or anything that looks tasty. It's a lump of clean plain bark...

So then dumb question, but do they teeth like infant humans do??? Lol cause that's literally the only think I can think of that he's doing, either that or sharpening his huge pointy chompers... Or maybe he's just weird?

Anyone else have a cham do this before?

Young panthers do this all the time. Seems mainly happening from 2-24 months old. Just make sure he can't ingest anything he may chew on. They will try and chew on almost anything (leaves, branches, cork, etc...):)

Oh, ok. Good to know. So it's sort of one of those "infants stick everything in their mouth just cause" things, see if it's edible?

Back
Top Bottom