Trouble Breeding Panthers

DannySanchez

I have a pair of Panthers- Zelda, the male, is about 2 years old. Emmy, the female, is 1.5 years old. I've been trying to breed them for the better part of 2 months and have run out of ideas.

What happens is when I put Emmy in Zelda's cage the normal ritual will begin. He will flare and bob his head and as he attempts to get into position, Emmy will let go of her branch and just dangle from her tail. He will approach and try to pull her up. He makes several attempts which will in turn pisses Emmy off to no end. It doesn't matter where he gets to her, her reaction is the same. She doesn't flare, hiss or show any signs of aggression until Zelda's repeated tries to pull her into position.

Any one have any ideas?

The first pic is of Zelda and the second is after multiple attempts to mate. Third is minutes after she's back in her cage:
IMG_4238[1].JPG
IMG_4254[1].JPG
IMG_4255[1].JPG

He should be put in her cage, how much does she weigh? 1.5 is usually a little young for a female cause they usually aren't up to weight yet.

He should be put in her cage, how much does she weigh? 1.5 is usually a little young for a female cause they usually aren't up to weight yet.
Andee, if anything 1.5 years old is late, sometimes when you don't breed them in the first or second cycle they don't breed ever. Especially ambilobe. To me she looks plenty Hefty to breed. She may have some infertile eggs and needs to get rid of them before breeding.

Thanks @bobcochran I always thought it was 2 years... but may need to brush up on cham breeding again, might have been reading too much geck stuff XD

I’ve tried putting him in her cage and he is no where near as willing to mate, and when he does, it’s the same result.
I haven’t weighed her yet, I will tomorrow.
She has had 1 infertile clutch, I was hoping that would kick in her willingness to mate. But nada so far.

When did she lay the infertile clutch?

I agree with Bob. But I have never heard of females not breeding if they haven't been mated for their first or second clutches.

Back
Top Bottom