tropical uvb slimline from petsmart, any good?

I tried asking about these a few weeks ago when I was looking to replace the compact UVB on my little girls small cage but couldn't find anything about them online and didn't get any replies about them when I asked on here either because of how new they are... They looked identical to the Zilla slim line fixture and bulb that lots of people on here use (which I couldn't find anywhere in my area) so I decided to give one a shot under the assumption it's the same bulb/fixture as Zilla just being sold to another chain under a different name... Most people swear by the Reptisun bulbs but the All Living Things bulb and fixture was cheaper than Reptisun bulb by itself so I picked one up thinking I could always replace the bulb later on. So far I have had zero issues with it and my little girl is much more active with the new linear bulb than she was with the compact UVB. I'm happy with it and for the price it's pretty hard to beat.

I tried asking about these a few weeks ago when I was looking to replace the compact UVB on my little girls small cage but couldn't find anything about them online and didn't get any replies about them when I asked on here either because of how new they are... They looked identical to the Zilla slim line fixture and bulb that lots of people on here use (which I couldn't find anywhere in my area) so I decided to give one a shot under the assumption it's the same bulb/fixture as Zilla just being sold to another chain under a different name... Most people swear by the Reptisun bulbs but the All Living Things bulb and fixture was cheaper than Reptisun bulb by itself so I picked one up thinking I could always replace the bulb later on. So far I have had zero issues with it and my little girl is much more active with the new linear bulb than she was with the compact UVB. I'm happy with it and for the price it's pretty hard to beat.

i dont mind paying the price of the reptisun bulb, just the fixtures to put them in are pretty crazy

i dont mind paying the price of the reptisun bulb, just the fixtures to put them in are pretty crazy

Get a fixture from home depot etc. You can use the under cabinet light fixture and replace the bulb with a reptisun.. Also, the bulbs are way cheaper online. Google it and amazon as well as other sites have them. My local pet store wants $32 for the 18" and I found one online for under $20. :D

PS if the fixture has plastic covering the bulb be sure to leave it off. From what I have read UVB does not penetrate plastic.

You're right about that lol. Plus most of the fixtures for an 18" bulb like I was looking for were all 24" which was way too wide for my 16" x 16" x 20".

http://www.petco.com/product/111653/Zilla-Slimline-Tropical-25-UVB-T8-Fluorescent-Fixture.aspx

the zilla slimline is on sale for $31, ill have to check the light fixtures at homedepot first,

whats a good spot to place the tank, i believe by a window and under a vent is a no no right

A cage too close to a sunny window may get too hot. And, the UV will be filtered out by the window glass anyway.

A heating or AC vent will dry out the cage too much. But, you could also put a diverter on the vent so it doesn't blow on it directly. Pretty easy fix if you don't have much choice in placement.

Some cheap fixtures may not have a heavy enough ballast for ReptiSun bulbs. You may end up replacing ballasts or the fixture itself more often. There are so many out there it's hard to predict. I have a few more expensive aquarium type hoods for my larger ReptiSun tubes...and I've used them continually for many years. So it's up to you.

I believe the Zilla Slimline's have plastic over the bulb like an aquarium bulb. Anyone that gets one of these make sure to remove the plastic or the uvb will be useless! Edit: so I zoomed in on the pic and it does not look like plastic but just in case you do buy one that has platic....Remove it! lol

Back
Top Bottom