Tree for outside enclosure?

JuniorC

Avid Member
So living in AZ its still warm but little by little feeling cooler in the mornings and evenings. Anyways I have a cool outdoor cage for my chameleon I would just like to add a small tree too for the chameleons outside time. Which would only be a few hours at most. I work at a dessert tree nursery so dont have much cooler options so wanted to see if anyone knew if and which of these trees would be good between an oak, an elm or jacaranda tree. I would keep it trimmed and shorter. We have nice mesquites but I know the sap would be a problem. Can anyone help with this

My vote is the oak. its generally the safest in terms of bark/leaves/sap and can be "shrub like" for growing short.
That's what I was thinking. One other question you dont think the leaves would be a problem since they are a little sharp/poky? Or something the cham will move around? ? and a hibiscus i can find at home depot or lowes right?

I use hibiscus in my outdoor enclosure. THey love to eat the flowers. You would need to water frequently being in AZ but they love sun.

That's what I was thinking. One other question you dont think the leaves would be a problem since they are a little sharp/poky? Or something the cham will move around? ? and a hibiscus i can find at home depot or lowes right?

Chams walk around thorny bushes all day long. Point soft leaves are not a problem. Plus oak leaves are good leaf litter.

I would recommend a tree that won't get as big/tall as an oak or elm so you won't have to climb up in a tall tree when it grows, to get him down...but I don't know what ones grow in the desert.

I would recommend a tree that won't get as big/tall as an oak or elm so you won't have to climb up in a tall tree when it grows, to get him down...but I don't know what ones grow in the desert.
I was just gonna keep it in the 7gallon bucket it comes in and keep it short and trimmed they are slow growing out here

So was able to find a good oak tree that was filled in and I trimmed it down to fit in the cage

Attachments

• 20201015_073755.jpg
    20201015_073755.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom