Treats For Chameleons

LoyaltyNECO

I've read a lot about treats for Chams, but basically nothing that I've read talks about WHEN to start introducing treats. I have a 4 month old Panther (actually 4 months old today :) ) that is eating crickets gut loaded with Cricket Crack really well. I'd like to start giving him other things to try. Is it better to offer treats early in life or does it matter. Also, any particular order I should try offering goodies?

I fed my cham strictly crickets until he was about 5-6 months old and then started introducing superworms. Well, to make a long story short, he will eat nothing but various worms now and no crickets! Use them more as treats as you stated because I have seen it time and time again on here where chameleons go on hunger strikes against crickets and choose worms over them. Try some small silk worms also, they are good feeders. Make sure the supers are not too big either. Hornworms are nice feeders also, but grow super big, very quickly and often times become too big for your chameleon to eat especially a chameleon that is the age of yours. And yes, variety is the spice of life!!!

I have an almost 5 mo panther male. I would like to feed silkworms as a treat, if he eats 12 to 15 crix a day, how many .5 to 1 inch silkworm would I feed in one feeding?
( just as an occasional treat)

I use crickets and superworms as staple diets. For treats, every once in a while I will mix it up with one of the following:
- Hornworms
- Waxworms (very rarely given because these are high in fat. Good for gravid females though)
- Praying mantids
- Flies that I can catch alive. (it is awesome seeing my cham hunt for these.)

I fed my cham strictly crickets until he was about 5-6 months old and then started introducing superworms. Well, to make a long story short, he will eat nothing but various worms now and no crickets! Use them more as treats as you stated because I have seen it time and time again on here where chameleons go on hunger strikes against crickets and choose worms over them. Try some small silk worms also, they are good feeders. Make sure the supers are not too big either. Hornworms are nice feeders also, but grow super big, very quickly and often times become too big for your chameleon to eat especially a chameleon that is the age of yours. And yes, variety is the spice of life!!!

Temperature controls the rate of hornworm growth. I try to lower temps down to 65-70*f to slow down their eating rate.

Temperature controls the rate of hornworm growth. I try to lower temps down to 65-70*f to slow down their eating rate.

thanks for the tip! I also just remove them from the food every couple of days so they can't eat and that seems to help also!

Offer variety from the start! No reason not too. Lots of potential benefits. Small chameleons can eat small crickets, fruit flies, small superworms, small butterworms, small silkworms, small terrestrial isopods, small stick bugs, roach nymphs, etc. And as they chameleon grows, select larger prey. The more variety, the better IMHO

So from what I'm reading, there really is not a specific age or certain item to try at a certain point, just something that's size appropriate and in moderation right?

So from what I'm reading, there really is not a specific age or certain item to try at a certain point, just something that's size appropriate and in moderation right?

Pretty much. But you do want to pick a staple feeder. Staple feeders are ones that you will feed to your cham on a regular basis. For me it is crickets and superworms. Then every once in a while you replace one feeding with something else. Ex. Hornworms, Flies, Silkworms, Roaches, etc. Try to feed insects that are smaller than your chams head (Width wise). Remember they have to be able to fit it into their mouth.

My guys love the variety I feed which includes, crickets, supers, dubias and occasional waxworms. They will eat and eat and eat all of them. I cup feed the crickets though and they go right up to the cup and feed, they do like to "Hunt" the dubia's and supers. I had mine on only crickets until about 4 months then I started exploring other feeders.

i have a 10 month old panther and ive had him for 4 days... i gave him wax worms today for the first time .... 2 small 1/4 inch ones.... and then he aight 3 crickets NO problem ... ill keep you posted if i have any issues

Where does everyone tend to get their Silk and Horned worms? Locally or online order? I know my guy is way too small for horned worms but I'm guessing he'll be ok with Silks.

Where does everyone tend to get their Silk and Horned worms? Locally or online order? I know my guy is way too small for horned worms but I'm guessing he'll be ok with Silks.

I order online. Mulberry farms is great. As for hornworms, you could feed off smaller ones. Softbodied worms go down rather easily and their nutritional value is spot on.

Back
Top Bottom