Treating outside branches

Grayson Payne

Avid Member
So I have been looking all over the place to find an answer for this and it seems that no one really has a clear one. What do you guys do for your branches that you get outside?

I have seen many people say that they need to be baked, but what if you can't fit it in your oven? Also, would that be all you do?

Then another side to this that I have seen is to either wash your branches with dawn or some other kind of soap or use some kind of a bleach solution. Does the bleach not affect the Chameleon on any way?

Overall, I just wanted some insight on the situation while I'm trying to set up a Chameleon enclosure. If you want to share your thoughts and what you do, I'd love to hear and would love to have some ideas on what to do personally!

I've heard that you can just clean them really really thoroughly with hot hot soapy water let dry and then if it were me i would wash and dry it a couple more times, not an expert though, that's just what i would do :)

Some wash, some dont. I have no prob with my cham walking on a “dirty” branch outside... but if its coming inside into a cage, I wash it with dawn dish soap and a strong, thorough blast of water. I do this to get rid of any mites or plant pests that might be on the branches.

I have plant pests in my enclosures right now and its been a hell of a battle. Worth the quick rinse, IMO.

I clean mine with a fancy tool called a garden hose. It's a secret method that can be done within minutes. Plant pests and just general dirt are the only reasons to really rinse them off. Mostly any plant pest will be washed off with a good blast of water though. I'd do whatever helps you sleep, but don't put too much energy or thought into it. Guarantee you won't find a cham that's died because a branch wasn't baked.

Back
Top Bottom