Traveling Chameleon?

herbie89

Hello!

I have a seven month old veiled. Considering I am college student I sometime leave herbie to the care of my wonderful roommate or friends. I just realized that our winter break was coming up and I would be going home (4 hours away) for almost a month. I was wondering if any of you have traveled with a chameleon or if you think this is a bad idea. I am just trying to figure out the best situation for Herbie!

I don't think it would be a problem. If you put him in a box/dark place he'll go to sleep for the ride.

I have a small carrier for vet visits that I put a towel over if they are antsy, but honestly we usually just let them roam. Our longest trip was coming home from Vegas with two new ones and they spent the ride hanging out on the back of the seats and my husbands head.

Yea, a 4 hour trip is no problem. Consider that these guys get shipped and spend about 12 hours in a little dark box and they do just fine.

I also do what Photoprincess suggests. Although with one of mine, Daedalus, he is happiest riding the headrest, so I just let him. We've done several 3 hour trips with him riding on the seat next to me, or on a plant in the back seat. But he's particularly chill and doesn't get upset about anything. If yours is more antsy you might want to keep him in a box during the trip. My shy ones do better like that.

I just traveled with my cham 2.5 hours home and back and I think my cham is about the same age. I took pipe cleaners and twisted them in all kinds of crazy patterns and directions to keep him entertained, stuck suction cups on the side of a 5 gallon aquarium and turned it so the sliding screen that was usually on top was the front of the cage. I strapped it in the seat with a seat belt and kept the ac on low so he wouldn't get overheated and not too cold. (I live in FL so it's naturally hot). I put a towel over the cage on the side of the sun so it wasnt reflecting off the cage so directly and he was fine! :)

I have these...
http://exo-terra.com/en/products/explorarium.php

I have one small and one large. the small one is for hanging from the hanger hook in the car and the large is for when I get to my destination. I have a ceramic heat bulb and a little Dome lamp for the large one and keep my branches a little lower so he does not burn himself with TONS of Plastic Folliage in it and he loves it. it can be hung anywhere and I hang him in the closet at night and outdoors (when warm enough) or near a window when too cold during the day time as well as a portable UVB bulb from a lamp that he can hang from. he does fine.

I have these...
http://exo-terra.com/en/products/explorarium.php

I have one small and one large. the small one is for hanging from the hanger hook in the car and the large is for when I get to my destination. I have a ceramic heat bulb and a little Dome lamp for the large one and keep my branches a little lower so he does not burn himself with TONS of Plastic Folliage in it and he loves it. it can be hung anywhere and I hang him in the closet at night and outdoors (when warm enough) or near a window when too cold during the day time as well as a portable UVB bulb from a lamp that he can hang from. he does fine.

i have this too probably the best thing ever just took my little man to the vet today in it :)

i used to live back and forth from sandiego to san bernardino (not a really long drive, like 2 hours or so) but used to take all 13 of my chams back and fourth with me..never seemed to really bother them, they would still eat, sleep, breed and bask like normal..ied say its safer for them to stay with you..:D

i used to live back and forth from sandiego to san bernardino (not a really long drive, like 2 hours or so) but used to take all 13 of my chams back and fourth with me..never seemed to really bother them, they would still eat, sleep, breed and bask like normal..ied say its safer for them to stay with you..:D

That sounds like a lot of work. Did you finally decide on home for you and the chams?

That sounds like a lot of work. Did you finally decide on home for you and the chams?

yes sandiego finally, and staying here!! no more moving i hated it..but the sanber-dew place had a huge porch that was screened in and turned into a huge free range, it was kinda cool, but i will settle for my micro free range for now till i can make more room.:D

traveling chams

we had to travel for 4 mos on the road across the U.S & we had a veiled & panther as long as you can keep the temps in the car right that distance should'nt be a problem . we had car adapters for their lights & had to mist them but it was the best time

I used to do this with my tree frogs :) I also just sent a baby veiled off with a family that traveled 250 miles to get her and she made it back fine. Just get a tupperware and drill or cut some holes in the lid and put a moist paper towel in there and he will travel just fine. I put a little tiny bit of foliage, maybe a leaf or two in there for them to hide and feel safe. Another thing you can do is drill a couple of holes in a big tall tupperware and put a little dowel rod in there at an angle so he can have a stick to hold onto.

we had to travel for 4 mos on the road across the U.S & we had a veiled & panther as long as you can keep the temps in the car right that distance should'nt be a problem . we had car adapters for their lights & had to mist them but it was the best time

That sounds like fun! I'd love an RV and a road trip with the whole gang ...

Back
Top Bottom