Trapped Tail Help!

joeandsoph

Established Member
Please help, I've just accidentally trapped my chameleon Tilly's tail in the tank door and she got really stressed. It was totally accidental and I feel absolutly terrible. She seems ok now she curled it up and ran to the top of her tank but do you think it will be ok. Doesn't look bruised and didn't break the skin. I did open the door as soon as I saw her face but I can't help worrying. Maybe I'm overreacting I don't know! This ever happened to anybody?

This has brought me to tears I was so angry with myself.

Thanks

Yes it looks completely normal. The dorr wasn't completely shut I opened it as soon as I realised. Maybe I'm overreacting but she's my world :-(

She's fine now normal colour everything

Just keep an eye on it to make certain it has normal movement & for bruising. Probably not serious if it was just for a moment,

Thanks maybe I just panicked. I didn't know until she got super pissed and I thought what the hell then I saw. I'll try and get a picture but she hates the camera so much and just want to leave her alone now

Just keep an eye on it to make certain it has normal movement & for bruising. Probably not serious if it was just for a moment,
It wasn't as if you slammed it in a car door.

I agree. They are dramatic creatures and do very well making you feel guilty.

I actually feel like such a bad person lol. I keep seeing that face and man I hate to see her like that. She really is the most beutiful thing. She's walking around now and she's uncurled her tail and curled it back up. Man I was scared. I'll still keep an eye on it though.

Oh no! Poor Tilly, and poor you! I know exactly how that feels and it's really not nice! Lily managed to get the tip of her tail stuck in the spring lock of her viv once. She had a little bruise on the end or a while, but he was fine! I was also in bits as I tried to help her get free! It was purely a fluke, but it does make you feel awful. :( Like others have said, just keep an eye on her - the bruise may appear later today if it hasn't already. If there is any swelling or she isn't able to curl it then I would get her checked out. Why do these things always seem to happen at the weekend when the vets are on call rather than having the surgery open?!

Reactions: Hoj
when I first got my chameleon I too closed the cage door right on his tail. The door closed completely and I did not even see it! He freaked out and it ended up turning black which I thought it was gonna fall off, but afer a few days it went back to normal. I felt horrible too and kept going over to look at his tail every few minutes and drove myself insane. I am sure yours will be fine too but that does not make you feel any better when you first do such a dumb thing!

I was a lot worse than you. I didn't close a cage well and my girl got out. I had no idea she was out and opened the door on her. She looked awful, I just knew the whole tail was a goner. She was fine but part of her tail was black forever.
I am sure your sweetie will be fine. She will also enjoy making you feel guilty. They are born knowing how to make us feel guilty.:)

when I first got my chameleon I too closed the cage door right on his tail. The door closed completely and I did not even see it! He freaked out and it ended up turning black which I thought it was gonna fall off, but afer a few days it went back to normal. I felt horrible too and kept going over to look at his tail every few minutes and drove myself insane. I am sure yours will be fine too but that does not make you feel any better when you first do such a dumb thing!
This helped me thank you

Back
Top Bottom