Training trees

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
I don’t know how applicable this is to most, but I thought I’d share something I do within my enclosures. Typically, we use dead branches to create a horizontal network reaching various heights and every corner of the cage. Then, we either hang plants off dragon ledges, or something similar, or add some tall trees to the bottom. With respect to the latter, and assuming your branch work is well secured, it is possible to train the living branches of trees by wiring/zip tying them to run parallel along side your horizontal branch work. If left in place for several months to a year, the living tree’s branches will put on enough wood to keep them in that position. So in a matter of a few years, most of your horizontal branch work can be made up of living tree branches, rather than dead ones, which inevitably need periodic replacing due to rot, etc.

Just something I like to do...

I'm hoping to do this in my girls' enclosures this winter. I have some ficus alii that I'll be trimming (often) to fit the cages, but was hoping their branches could serve to replace some of the cut branches.

I'm hoping to do this in my girls' enclosures this winter. I have some ficus alii that I'll be trimming (often) to fit the cages, but was hoping their branches could serve to replace some of the cut branches.
That’s a great tree to bend and shape! When you’re going to do your branch bending, dry the tree out almost to wilting first. I know it seems counterintuitive: wouldn’t a dry branch snap easier? But, in fact, when a live plant is water starved, they begin to wilt: leaves and branches become flaccid and sag. Obviously it’s a fine line between passing the permanent wilt point and getting it malleable enough to really torque, but ficus alii are super forgiving.

That's called an espalier! It's neat and done with fruit trees all the time! Great idea IMHO!
Do you happen to know what they call it when they braid the trunks of a ficus or schefflera?
The ficus in my enclosure is that way (the braided scheffleras were too tall); I think they look kinda neat too. :)

Do you happen to know what they call it when they braid the trunks of a ficus or schefflera?
The ficus in my enclosure is that way (the braided scheffleras were too tall); I think they look kinda neat too. :)
I think they just call it braided. The ficus will approach graft where the trunks touch, but I’m not sure about the schefs.

Back
Top Bottom