Tough week

And a poo update, it looked like the “critical nutrient mix” we gave to him at the vet, which actually looks suspiciously identical to the Repashy big burger I feed his crickets haha.

Me personally, I would not offer any H20 at all during night time/ sleeping hours as cham's are very susceptible to RI I HAVE found during these what I call the crucial hours.

Hang in there and keep us updated
this is false, a chameleon should have 60 or 70 percent to 100 percent humidity at night, keep the fogger going if it drops below.

edit: its the drop and increase in humidity in the day and night that keeps them from getting a respiratory infection.

this is false, a chameleon should have 60 or 70 percent to 100 percent humidity at night, keep the fogger going if it drops below.

edit: its the drop and increase in humidity in the day and night that keeps them from getting a respiratory infection.
Agreed. The fogger is run intermittently at night only. The humidity dips through the day, with pockets of 50-70%. I measure 4 locations with WiFi sensors (they are called SensorPush Sensors if anyone is interested). I can check temps real time from anywhere on my phone (these are real time and heat input stopped about 45 minutes earlier, so the basking spot is dropping still).
0071F196-54A7-4491-8F3D-AF2DBCD53D73.jpeg

they are actually very cool and I can review past data using graphs they provide or by exporting the data as a .csv so I can make my own graphs. Basically temp and humidity are well monitored. To supplement temps at night and make sure they don’t get too cold (I like the rest of my house cool at night) I have a Dyson Hot + Cool to prevent temp from getting too cold and I only run it as a heater at night andduring the day it provides just air flow.

Disagree (I said I have found ... ) ... but to quote a source it's ok to agree to disagree ...

So sorry to hear about your lil man. From everything I read you are doing everything right. I think @Brodybreaux25 may be onto something with the repashy LoD... I have basically the exact same set up as you.

Since he is having some issues with mobility I would try to add in more branches horizontally and diagonally in the enclosure.

Sending you lots of positive vibes. I know how awful it is on the keeper to watch them decline. Hopefully he will continue to make improvements.

I have hard news. I had a work conference today in the city, so was checking on him via video. When I saw him curled up on the cage floor I rushed to get him and we just came out of the emergency vet. They did what the vet called an ultrasound and found that he had what they suspect to be cancer in his reproductive organ area and that the likelihood of surgery being successful was very low. We had to say goodbye. I am so sad.

I know it was the best for him, but it is hard. I find a small amount of relief that the vet reassured me that there was nothing I could have done.

I have hard news. I had a work conference today in the city, so was checking on him via video. When I saw him curled up on the cage floor I rushed to get him and we just came out of the emergency vet. They did what the vet called an ultrasound and found that he had what they suspect to be cancer in his reproductive organ area and that the likelihood of surgery being successful was very low. We had to say goodbye. I am so sad.
Sorry to hear ...

So sorry to hear this. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. Will you get a necropsy done to find out for sure what it was?

so sorry to hear about this, I know losing a companion can be hard but know you tried your best and did all the right things by reaching out for help.

Yeah, I asked the vet to send me the images from the ultrasound and that she can perform the necropsy.
I don’t mean to pull at everyone’s heart strings too much, but I want to give a small backstory to why this feels so hard right now. Last year my wife and I lost our baby. I was encouraged to get a pet to pour some of that paternal instinct into, so I thought, “oh! I loved these when I was younger and hell I will really need to take a lot of care of a chameleon!” I regret none of it, but it just stings. Anyway, thanks for listening everyone.

So sorry for both losses and thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your story with us. Taking care of a sick Cham is not easy but it’s nice to have a community of people who care and can relate. Take time to heal and hopefully we will see you here in the future. :)

Blood test would have caught that, but result would likely have been the same.

My condolences.

Last edited:
Yeah, I asked the vet to send me the images from the ultrasound and that she can perform the necropsy.
I don’t mean to pull at everyone’s heart strings too much, but I want to give a small backstory to why this feels so hard right now. Last year my wife and I lost our baby. I was encouraged to get a pet to pour some of that paternal instinct into, so I thought, “oh! I loved these when I was younger and hell I will really need to take a lot of care of a chameleon!” I regret none of it, but it just stings. Anyway, thanks for listening everyone.
I am so very sorry to hear about this. You were a wonderful cham parent and I really hope you stay in the hobby. I know right now the loss is new. I really do understand the depth of the shock of losing a cham that you thought you would have for years. All I can say is you did everything right by him and gave him a wonderful life. You should be very proud of the love and attention to detail you provided.

I think having this forum is a wonderful support and if you need anything we have you. So no worries about pulling at heart strings. That is what we are here for. Sending love and support to your family.

I am so terribly sorry to hear about both your baby as well as your chameleon. This is a strong community, here to help you in myriad ways, believe me. You seem like you are a dedicated keeper, and I hope this doesn't discourage you from allowing another chameleon into your heart when you are ready.

Back
Top Bottom