Took Monty outside -- Look what happened!

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
First time outside. Since I can get him to come onto my hand with food bribing, I figured he is okay to start maybe freeranging and or going outside.

I figured associating him with basking in a large area would make him more comfortable with me.

These are the pictures.

It's like a little yin yang effect! His basking side and his nervous side.

Chameleon Ying Yang by Barr.Korrd, on Flickr

Chameleon Foot by Barr.Korrd, on Flickr

Chameleon by Barr.Korrd, on Flickr

^That one reminds me of Jann's picture of Luie.

Dark Side by Barr.Korrd, on Flickr

Should I ever do that again?

bump.

do you think i should do that again. he is not hand feeding anymore from me, except twice. I think he just hated being handled .. He doesnt look super stressed but he is losing trust in me. poor thing.

Good lookin boy! Nice pics too

Thank you. :)

Anyone else? Not for compliments I just don't want to stress out my cham again.

He was basking so I thought maybe it was a good experience for him. He did not want to budge though. and now he even refuses dubis from me.

He will be fine. ;)

Now if he is turning black, throwing himself off your hand, striking consistently...I would do this infrequently.

He will be fine. ;)

Now if he is turning black, throwing himself off your hand, striking consistently...I would do this infrequently.

Oh okay. Well he is acting weird like he really gets nervous and has spots when I try and feed him so I probably just shocked him.

I will get him used to it. :p

He is not biting at all. He did gape when he was on my arm because he was refusing food though.

Monty is so handsome. I think if you work with him and go slow giving him plenty of time, he'll come around.

Monty is so handsome. I think if you work with him and go slow giving him plenty of time, he'll come around.

Aw thank you Jann. I'll give him an imaginary pat on the casque for you :p Since he wont even let me go near him.

I guess within a year or so he will start to enjoy coming out. I don't care if he enjoys me or not I just want him to be able to do things!

I built a free range for him too.

Also Jann today I read the thread about Sadie. She was my favorite cham on this whole forum I swear, such a beautiful cham. I am so sorry what happened to her. You did the best you could, she was in the best care at the time.

is there anyway you can just carry the cage out? I had to do that with Olive at first - she HATED to be touched ( or looked at, fed..... :p ) the sun is SOOO good for them - but you also don't want to freak him out to the point of not eating - keep at him , it took Olive a long time to let me pick her up- we have an agreement - if she wont bite me - I wont drop her- LOL she is still crabby about it, but she did come around enough to let me scoop her up and carry her out :)

is there anyway you can just carry the cage out? I had to do that with Olive at first - she HATED to be touched ( or looked at, fed..... :p ) the sun is SOOO good for them - but you also don't want to freak him out to the point of not eating - keep at him , it took Olive a long time to let me pick her up- we have an agreement - if she wont bite me - I wont drop her- LOL she is still crabby about it, but she did come around enough to let me scoop her up and carry her out :)

Yes! Our cage stand has wheels. So I could wheel him out...

IF our house was not elevated 2 steps higher than the ground.

I wish we had a ramp!

Then he'd still be in his little security blanket environment and still get nice sunlight.

Aw thank you Jann. I'll give him an imaginary pat on the casque for you :p Since he wont even let me go near him.

I guess within a year or so he will start to enjoy coming out. I don't care if he enjoys me or not I just want him to be able to do things!

I built a free range for him too.

Also Jann today I read the thread about Sadie. She was my favorite cham on this whole forum I swear, such a beautiful cham. I am so sorry what happened to her. You did the best you could, she was in the best care at the time.

Thank you for your kind words about Sadie. I still miss her and think of her everyday. It's really sad to go in her room with her not there.

Once you get Monty on his FR is happy then?

Thank you for your kind words about Sadie. I still miss her and think of her everyday. It's really sad to go in her room with her not there.

Once you get Monty on his FR is happy then?

You are welcome. We all miss Sadie too.

He calms down a LOT when I put him on a dracaena, so I made a FR for him which my father is bringing a thick wood piece to make it stand up. He doesn't even hiss at me when he's in "my" territory, and I can pick him up just fine.

It looks like a bare tree with few branches. I will add leaves and stuff.

Great photos! I like the one of his foot:)

I took that one on purpose when I recognized how cool it looked. :) Their feet are so cool.

Dont stress out dude. Hehe, chams get their stressed colors pretty easily. I would just keep at it, he wont get sick or die from grabbing him every once in a while. Some get used to it, some never do. I wouldn't move his whole cage just to avoid picking him up. Just reach in and do the hand slide under his belly, let him grab hold and pull him out. He may or may not get stressed for a second, but as soon as he gets some real sunshine, he will forget all about it.

I like when they get two-faced in the sun. One side all colorful, the other all dark.

Dont stress out dude. Hehe, chams get their stressed colors pretty easily. I would just keep at it, he wont get sick or die from grabbing him every once in a while. Some get used to it, some never do. I wouldn't move his whole cage just to avoid picking him up. Just reach in and do the hand slide under his belly, let him grab hold and pull him out. He may or may not get stressed for a second, but as soon as he gets some real sunshine, he will forget all about it.

I like when they get two-faced in the sun. One side all colorful, the other all dark.

I am just super afraid of him biting me which he will do if I don't get him onto my hand with a treat first lol.

I can't take the cage out anyway. We have a stairway up to the house.

I know I love the double sided cham.

Yes! Our cage stand has wheels. So I could wheel him out...

IF our house was not elevated 2 steps higher than the ground.

I wish we had a ramp!

Then he'd still be in his little security blanket environment and still get nice sunlight.

DARN STEPS ! :p time for a ramp ;) seriously, I know what a pain it - I have 3 steps, and big cages - that is why I moved everyone out ( and now...back in for the week due to stupid Ohio temps, 41 last night :mad: ) and just started to build "dito" cages - so the cage looks pretty much the same as the one in the house- but that still leaves the "carry me " issue - :confused: the more you work with him at his pace- he will come around , it may take a while - it took Olive what seemed like FOREVER - she will never be a snugly cham like the panthers- but she did come around :)

When they first get in the sun, they usually darken on the side facing the rays to soak up some heat. Totally normal, nothing to do with stress.

When they first get in the sun, they usually darken on the side facing the rays to soak up some heat. Totally normal, nothing to do with stress.

I figured he was like that since he was basking, but his "cool" side I started to notice something.

When he is nervous he gets gray hues on his cheeks!

Back
Top Bottom