Too small for hornworms?

Ronandex317

I have a 4 month old veiled whom I feed mostly crickets and trade off between wax worms and meal worms.
I tried to give her superworms, and she actually almost hand fed!!! But got a bit nervous. I put it on her favorite vine and she snatched it. However, she grabbed it from behind and it wriggled till it found something to grab onto. Sadly, that 'thing' was leia's face! She made a loud noise and preceded to grab, and throw the work to the bottom of her cage. Now she won't even look at super worms :(

Anyway, since those seemed a little too big, do you think hornworms or silk worms would be ok?

I know meal worms and wax worms aren't that good for Chana and I do want her to only eat crickets so I really want to add other things to her diet as she won't eat fruit just not sure about age/size for those

I would try silks first. Hornworms tend to get big very fast unless you are diligent about not feeding them too much and keeping them cool. Even large silkworms can be eaten by most 4 month old veileds. My veiled didn't want anything to do with silks the first time I offered them, but now he cant get enough of them.

I would try silks first. Hornworms tend to get big very fast unless you are diligent about not feeding them too much and keeping them cool. Even large silkworms can be eaten by most 4 month old veileds. My veiled didn't want anything to do with silks the first time I offered them, but now he cant get enough of them.
Alright that sounds like a good idea. I'll put in an order for some silks. Thank you very much

A tip I got from someone in the know is to disable the biting mouth pincers on the super worm before feeding to the chameleon to prevent the super worm from biting back. I was shown how to sort of use your thumbnail to smash in their mouth pincers while not completely killing or crushing their worm head...the super worm is also capable of biting the chameleon internally hence the wisdom of knocking out the pincer/biting mouthparts

Back
Top Bottom