Too hot? No Ac in Chams room

Kasi

Hello Everyone!

I've already had my set up approved here, but I've now run into another issue. The room where I keep my cham has no AC, and the Temps seems to get up to 90 degrees when it's at its hottest. I just placed a fan in there to help with tempature control, but I don't want my cham to get hurt from the heat. Is he okay with the fan? Should I turn the heat lamp off if necessary? I'm just not sure what to do with it getting so hot and I don't want the heat to harm him. My house doesn't have central air...

Thanks
Kasi

A fan isnt going to "cool" anything.

If its only 90 at peak you are fine. However during my 90 days, lights and basking lights are off from 10 till 2 during the heat of the day, and they are all huddled at the bottom of the cages. If you have a mister, then the combo of the fan and the mister will help drop temps 5-10 degees.

Do make sure there is good ventilation and keep a close eye on your humidity levels. While a bit hotter than the current ideals, your cham should be ok. Older standards used to advise hotter temps and I’m sure in the wild they have some hotter days.

I would turn the heat lamp off when it's that hot.

One more comment...a fan will only move the air around... it won't cool the chameleon off..they don't sweat, so there's no evaporative cooling happening just because a fan is on.

As @nightanole said...it might work if the chameleon has beads of mist on it..but not if the chameleon is dry.

Turn off the heat lamps if it is getting that hot in the room. This is when having a window unit AC is a good idea. If your already seeing temps that hot and we are only at the beginning of summer heat then your room could end up much hotter. Ambient temps that are recommended for most species are low 70's so getting ambient temps in the 90's gives them no where to go to get cooler.

I would definitely get that basking lamp on a timer. Especially right now how the days are starting to get hotter. Mine is currently only on for 3 hours.
The fan should help keep the humidity down if you are mid day misting. But keep an eye on the humidity.
Not sure how everyone thinks a fan works but if I have a fan pointed at me I’m less hot😗just saying

@EmilioTheAnkify said..."Not sure how everyone thinks a fan works but if I have a fan pointed at me I’m less hot😗just saying"....
This might help you understand what I said in post #4 in this thread...human's cool off when a fan blows on them because they sweat...sweat evaporating cools you...chameleons don't sweat...so the air/chameleon would only get cooler if you were blowing in cooler air from somewhere else...
https://www.wired.com/2015/08/fans-dont-always-make-things-cooler/

@kinyonga
So are you arguing that I don’t have to sweat to feel the effects of a fan or that the chameleon has to have beads of water on it to feel the effects of a fan?

I have a fan pointed at my hybrid enclosure, which keeps the light fixtures from radiating heat down into the enclosure. It also helps keep the humidity down.

@kinyonga
So are you arguing that I don’t have to sweat to feel the effects of a fan or that the chameleon has to have beads of water on it to feel the effects of a fan?

I have a fan pointed at my hybrid enclosure, which keeps the light fixtures from radiating heat down into the enclosure. It also helps keep the humidity down.

U are warmer than air. If I blow air on dry U, U get cooler.

Chameleon is only as warm as the air. U blow air on chameleon, chameleon stays same temperature.

I blow air on wet U, U get cooler much quicker.
I blow air on wet chameleon, It get cooler than air till its dry.

Or for the computer nerds, the heatsink doesnt have to be wet to be cooled down with a fan, but it does have to be hot to begin with :p

@EmilioTheAnkify said..."So are you arguing that I don’t have to sweat to feel the effects of a fan or that the chameleon has to have beads of water on it to feel the effects of a fan?"....I'm not arguing with you at all. I'm giving you scientific information to explain what happens under what circumstances.

Last edited:
@kinyonga
So a fan only reduces heat(temperature) when the object is wet ?

Unless said object is warmer than air.

I think that is when the disconnect happens.

You can blow as much room temp air on a room temp object as you want, it will stay the same temperature.

If the object is hotter than room temp, then said object can be cooled to room temp by blowing room temp air on it.

And for bonus a wet room temp object can be cooled below room temp by blowing room temp air on it. The faster the water evaporates, the cooler the object will become.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth we used to do this experiment in school. Take three mercury thermometers that need to have the entire school evacuated if one breaks. Place both on the desk. One is just sitting on the desk, and the other is on a paper towel that is wet with room temp water on the same desk, and the last one is across the room. Run a fan over the desk. The paper towel thermometer will read a lot cooler than the other two thermometers(the two dry ones should be reading the same temp).

Back
Top Bottom