Too Friendly Jackson's?

Wow, great info! Thank you so much! Right now, she's getting reptical multi vitamins, and I'm gutloading with a combo of orange cubes and fresh fruits and veggies from the lists on the forum (it's summer, so there's a lot around.) I'll make a note on her schedule to knock out all suppliments for a month and then go to every 6 weeks for the multi. I've got a phosphorus free calcium dust on its way, should be here tuesday. I'll stick with just that. As for gutload, IS there a commercially available one that's good, or be using orange cubes and adding fresh food on the side as well?
Also, just one hour outside a week is enough D3? That's not a problem until September around here. When I'm gardening, I've just been moving her cage outside to a half shade, half sun area, so she's getting several hours a day.

Tiki-Tiki sells cricket crack. They have a montane version too! ;)

Id look into that.

I would stop using the orange cubes, they are not worth a crap.

I recommend using orange slices for a water source.

Turnip/collard greens, squash, and anything you see here:https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html Is good eats for feeders. I recommend reading as many of her(sandrachameleon's) blog post as you can, if not all.

Its the Bible on Gutloading, and feeder nutrition.

I do have a friendly Jackson! Monty is such a cutie pie! He actually reaches out for me when he wants to come out. When I get home from work and go up to hsi cage he almost runs tot he front to see me.:D I have also had 3 Veileds and they were all really people friendly too. Even my big ale who had been passed around a lot before I got him. I was his 5th owner yet he was the sweetest most gentle boy even after everything he had been through. There is a downside to having a friendly cham though. When you try to offer them food they will ignore the food and walk right over it to get to you!

With regard to supplementing Jacksons, I have followed this method since I got Monty when he was a tiny 2g 7 week old little scrap, and he has grown up into a very healthy, vibrant young male! He gets plain calcium once per week, Reptivite (without D3) once per week and Reptivite WITH D 3 every 6 weeks. I pay particular attention to ensuring al his food is as well gutloaded as I can before feeding him.

My male jacksons is WC , he is active and has a routine, timer lights go on he goes to his basking spot, than he spends time exploring his cage. from spending a lot of time observing him, I have learned his moods and habits, it is tuff to explain but If he is hungry he will climb on a branch close to me (where i can see him) and just non stop STARE at my every move than when he sees I have crickets prepared he goes into predator mode aggressively trying to get the crickets it does not matter if they are in a bowl, my hand or just let loose in his cage he hunts them down. When I first pick him up to take him outside he seems irritated but once i get him in the sun he will just sit on my leg and than he fires up nice and bright, when i take him back inside once he sees his cage he starts reaching for it like he cant wait to go back inside. He never hisses or acts aggressive. Good luck to you !

Wow! Is it only with Jackson's, or do other breeds have friendly members too? I'm trying to relax about her. She looks great, and she's eating, pooping, growing, etc. it's just nerve wracking with the first one!

Mine that likes out is a male panther. He has been cranky one time since he hatched.

This is all great to know, thank you all. I've got cricket crack and plain calcium powder on the way and hopefully she'll stay friendly!

Yeah I have a male jackson that loves to be out and about. He we crawl all over me then when I go to put him back in the cage he tries to crawl on me more. It is weird but I get next to his cage and he stops and crawls to his spot. He is healthy and super spoiled! So I think you got yourself a happy cham!

Today she RAN out of the cage to sit on me, and only THEN would she eat her worms. She wasn't unhappy to go back into the cage, but she's insisting on coming out in the morning. It's pretty damned cute. :p

I got her (and a friend got a male) at the Reptile Expo in White Plains, NY. I'm definitely going to the one in October on Long Island. I can't wait! Though, I think my next cham will be a panther and I might have to buy that one online.

I just bought my first Jacksons Sunday. Today is the fourth day that I have had him, and was starting to wonder about the same thing. He turns a very light shade of green when I have him out of his cage. He will hand feed, and loves to be outside. My question is if he is really that friendly, how much handling is too much? What signs other than dark shades of color will he show when it turns into too much?

I just bought my first Jacksons Sunday. Today is the fourth day that I have had him, and was starting to wonder about the same thing. He turns a very light shade of green when I have him out of his cage. He will hand feed, and loves to be outside. My question is if he is really that friendly, how much handling is too much? What signs other than dark shades of color will he show when it turns into too much?

I'm curious about that too. Right now I'm just going by color change, but when I hold her, she's a bright green "happy" shade. I just got my first batch of Cricket Crack in the mail today, so I'm gut loading now!

That is a good thing if they are green. If they start turning black or get black spots thats when they are stressed. Well that is what everyone tells me atleast. I might try to get a panther. We have a expo in august so I will most likely pick something up. I want another cham!

friendly cham

I just got a new panther a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be very friendly. After eating a few feeders he will come across the cage and crawl on to my hand and up my face. I haven't seen him scratching at the cage or show any signs of discomfort so I guess he just likes to come out. I think solid snake has a valid point, but if your enclosure conditions are in check you probably have a friendly cham. Congratulations! Chameleons rule!!

Despite just being green, Monty shows several different patterns. His 'happy' green is all green with a tinge of a yellow stripe along his side. When he sees the cat (which he really isn't happy about) he goes mottled and blotchy with various shades of darker greens. This morning when I finished misting him I took him out of his tree to go back to his viv and he stayed pale green but he had lighter upside down triangles along his sides. They don't stay green until about 5 - 6 months of age. Up until that age they are more typically brown in colour, but Monty would always go happy green when he was out of his viv.

Back
Top Bottom