Too Big?

Sassy

As some of you know I had a recent addition to the family, a pretty female panther we named Calypso. I was given this cage by another member and I am just wondering....what are your thoughts....too big for 1 female? It's 48" Tall x 24 squared I believe.

If it's not too big, then does anyone have any cool ideas for the set-up on the inside? I will have a male coming this week, but he has his set-up all ready. I appreciate the info :)

Thank You!

Attachments

• DSCN1578.jpg
    DSCN1578.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 210
Once they're old enough (and yours certainly is), there is no such thing as too big! The more space the better (within reason of course: if you simply let them roam around your house they wouldn't get enough UV exposure, heat or nutrition...).

So whilst she doesn't need a cage that large, and would do fine in a slightly smaller cage, if you've got the space, she'll succeed in it. Just plant it up real well (lots of tall plants like hibiscus, ficus or camellia), schefflera to fill the lower parts and some hanging pothos to grow around the top. Some people think that a smaller cage actually provides a female with a greater feeling of security, so in a larger cage you would probably want to plant it denser than usual to increase the feeling of security/hiding spaces.
Then attach some wooden branches (cleaned well, no artificial additives like varnish, etc) or some jungle vines for climbing around.

Drainage would be a bit difficult if you're going to leave it on those wheels on the floor. Maybe you can fit it into some sort of drainage basin that's raised up on a shelf?

no cage is ever too big :) Ever!!!

problems that arise with larger cages though are feeding

you will most likely want to try cup feeding as an alternative to just throwing in them because they will die and attack cham if they can hide

She is currently cup feeding, I try and cup feed all my reptiles :) Works out so much better. I appreciate the input and I will get to work on this right away :) Wooo Hooo - I am so excited! :D

Ok - So here is how it looks for now......

Attachments

• DSCN0057.JPG
    DSCN0057.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0065.JPG
    DSCN0065.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 202
You might want to raise it up by putting it on a stand or something. They generally feel more comfortable if they are higher. Otherwise looks good.

You might want to raise it up by putting it on a stand or something. They generally feel more comfortable if they are higher. Otherwise looks good.

So you think I should get a stand for it ..... ok - I can check into that :) Thanks - I just liked the fact that it has wheels and I can fit a drip pan under it :)

looks really good yeah i agree put it up on something or you could even get a stand and build it into a drip/storrage stand thats what i did it worked out great saved money time and space!

looks really good yeah i agree put it up on something or you could even get a stand and build it into a drip/storrage stand thats what i did it worked out great saved money time and space!

Any ideas or pictures in the "Drip/Storage Stand" sounds very cool - but I'd need an idea of what I'm trying to build :) I appreciate the help!:D

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-veileds-new-cage-11677/

try that link it has a good drainage system on it im workin on one right now were im goin to heat up the plastic bottom of the cage and mold it with a soccerball to make it dip in then drill some holes and attach a funnel under it then the stand i have i cut a circular hole that the funnel slips into and the funnel drops into a gallon jug that holds the drainage water and thein im puttin shelving around it ......

when i get pics of the finished project ill be posting then but ive been really busy lately and go outta town next week!...

hope that helps....
Wegs

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-veileds-new-cage-11677/

try that link it has a good drainage system on it im workin on one right now were im goin to heat up the plastic bottom of the cage and mold it with a soccerball to make it dip in then drill some holes and attach a funnel under it then the stand i have i cut a circular hole that the funnel slips into and the funnel drops into a gallon jug that holds the drainage water and thein im puttin shelving around it ......

when i get pics of the finished project ill be posting then but ive been really busy lately and go outta town next week!...

hope that helps....
Wegs

I really liked that idea......I will def try something, I jsut thought she was happy cause she's eating and drinking, going to the bathroom......but I guess it dosen't hurt to put her up higher.....I will brainstorm this and let you all know what I come up with :)

I was browsing through old enclosure and supplies posts last night to get a few ideas for myself and I found this thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-system-11146/

The link to chameleon news that Dave Weldon provided in that thread was awesome, as well as this link from another member:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19252-000001569-ST3608&lpage=none

I hadn't been on the forums for a few months, and I missed the best product ever! Home Depot also sells various sizes and shapes of hot water heater pans that are good drain pans to fit on a stand, and one board member even used heavy duty clear plastic that directed water into a bucket. I'm going to be building a new cage to fit in my new dining room and I think I'm going to build it so that one of the super tubs will slide freely under a screen bottom, if the lip can support the weight of an inch or so of water. My main thing is to have an easily portable way to dispose of the drip water.

You could even put your cage over a plastic utility sink, I had never seen anything like that before! I must say I liked the wheels of your cage though.

Great cage!

I love this cage! Was it purchased originally from a company or made by someone? I have two Jacksons, one male, one female (and 2 days ago add 11 babies to the group). I am researching into building an outside cage large enough for my guys (hopefully where I can have separate areas). We live in Hawaii so the outside environment is perfect.

I love this cage! Was it purchased originally from a company or made by someone? I have two Jacksons, one male, one female (and 2 days ago add 11 babies to the group). I am researching into building an outside cage large enough for my guys (hopefully where I can have separate areas). We live in Hawaii so the outside environment is perfect.

Thanks I love it too, now I just need to get a stand for it I guess, everyone says it's too low :) I bet Hawaii is soooo nice .... wish I was there :)

We're lucky out here, not having to have the chams inside. When you visit Hawaii, you'll have to go hiking and you will be surprised when you see chameleons just hanging out on the trees now and then. Very cool!:)

Back
Top Bottom