Tongue theory

asianer

I noticed in a couple of threads that some chams have somehow lost their tongues - I recently acquired a 5 month old cham and she was vigorously hunting on Saturday. On one attempt she extended her tongue hitting the cricket but it seemed like the dusting supplement stopped her from getting a full grasp. Her tongue remained extended for a couple of seconds and then she retracted it, which came back through some umbrella plant leaves. Now, I wonder if those had been plastic leaves if it would have serrated her tongue during retraction. :confused:
If anyone that has experienced the "chopped tongue" would respond that they have plastic plants in their cage it would be greatly appreciated.

Can't answer your question about the plastic plants...but its not normal for the tongue to stay out like that. It should be out and back in a fraction of a second regardless of whether the tongue sticks to the cricket or not.

Can't answer your question about the plastic plants...but its not normal for the tongue to stay out like that. It should be out and back in a fraction of a second regardless of whether the tongue sticks to the cricket or not.

Thanks, I'll have to monitor that but she did eat 4 crickets after that with no retraction problems.

Ive had chams miss a prey item and the tongue gets momentarily stuck to the screen or to a branch or leaf. Then it retracts back. If thats what occurred then yes thats normal. If the tongue hangs and is limp at any time during the extention or retraction process then you have a problem... And no I dont think a plastic or silk plant could injure your chams tongue. Although if its a veiled it could attempt to eat the plastic or silk leaves. So I always go natural with cage furniture...

Back
Top Bottom