Tongue-Chameleon

Gomez89

Hi Everyone, I need help please. So its been a couple of days I noticed my chameleon didn't want to eat but i've been checking on him. So yesterday I was trying to feed him a cricket and he didn't want it. So then I offered him a wax worm and he seen it and as soon as he tried taking his tongue, I got scared the worse happened. His whole tongue came out I mean his whole tongue was hanging out his mouth and he moving and struggling to suck it back in. It took him like 1 minute and finally he was able to put it inside of him. None of his tongue was lift out. Please can someone help me or tell me what should I do. This has never happened he has been eating good and he's very healthy. I appreciate any advice.

Here the how to ask for help post, if you could fill this out and provide the most details you can. Please provide pictures of your chameleon and your enclosure.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Hi Everyone, I need help please. So its been a couple of days I noticed my chameleon didn't want to eat but i've been checking on him. So yesterday I was trying to feed him a cricket and he didn't want it. So then I offered him a wax worm and he seen it and as soon as he tried taking his tongue, I got scared the worse happened. His whole tongue came out I mean his whole tongue was hanging out his mouth and he moving and struggling to suck it back in. It took him like 1 minute and finally he was able to put it inside of him. None of his tongue was lift out. Please can someone help me or tell me what should I do. This has never happened he has been eating good and he's very healthy. I appreciate any advice.
How did you feed him? If you were tong feeding I suggest you don’t do it again and use your fingers instead. Tong feeding can be very dangerous if not done right, it can cause many issues with your chams tongue and it’s unsafe. (Not sure if this is what you did but just a psa) I also agree that you need to take him to an experienced chameleon vet 🙂 fill out the form as well and provide pictures of him, his enclosure, supplements, lights, etc if you can it’s much more helpful.

Last edited:
It can happen where their tongue gets over extended, or sometimes if the miss and repeatedly shoot.
As long as he got it back in on his own it is a good sign. Keep an eye on him, but he should be OK. I say this because he got the tongue back in on his own, which suggests no major damage.

For feeding I use a bowl. I hold it so I can get it at an appropriate distance. The bowl prevents the tongue from getting caught on something.

It can happen where their tongue gets over extended, or sometimes if the miss and repeatedly shoot.
As long as he got it back in on his own it is a good sign. Keep an eye on him, but he should be OK. I say this because he got the tongue back in on his own, which suggests no major damage.

For feeding I use a bowl. I hold it so I can get it at an appropriate distance. The bowl prevents the tongue from getting caught on something.
Ty. Like literly i cried he's my baby. Is there possible way you can send me a picture of the bowl you use?

Take him to an experienced chameleon vet, and immediately if it happens again, too (if they’re not open or something, take him to a 24 hr exotic animal hospital!
Thank you. After he was able to put his tongue inside he started drinking lots of fluids(water).

How did you feed him? If you were tong feeding I suggest you don’t do it again and use your fingers instead. Tong feeding can be very dangerous if not done right, it can cause many issues with your chams tongue and it’s unsafe. (Not sure if this is what you did but just a psa) I also agree that you need to take him to an experienced chameleon vet 🙂 fill out the form as well and provide pictures of him, his enclosure, supplements, lights, etc if you can it’s much more helpful.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I never knew about this page and its so awesome.

I'd definitely wait closer to a week before feeding him again. That sounds pretty serious if it took a minute or so to pull the tongue back in. I won't repeat what has been said above but think of this situation as a pulled leg muscle in a human. They are no longer going to be running up stairs or testing their abilities; instead, they will be resting and taking it easy. And when this human needs to go up the stairs, they take it really slow as to allow for recovery and not reinjury.

When cup feeding him next, hold the bowl fairly close to him so he doesn't reinjure himself. He will need time to heal. A deli cup is fine:
1612375563249.png
or
1612375592249.png

The second one can be bought at petco in the bird section. It's the same one that Neptune the Chameleon uses. I prefer a deli cup. I sanded down the sides so he wouldn't be tempted to shoot the container. But if you hold the cup while he eats, this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm cheap this is what View attachment 291401I use. Just deep enough crickets cant jump out.

Also I have had both problems with my Chams. It is scary
I started out with one of the containers my dubias came in. I cleaned it out and the holes on the cup (not the lid) I put wire and tied it to the cage screen 😂
Also won’t the tape come off it isn’t recommend to use in the enclosure I thought?
Edit: what’s the duct tape for?

Sorry if the following scares you but I think it needs to be said.

Be aware that if the tongue hangs out and your chameleon can not pull it back in, it needs to be kept moist and you need to prevent him from chomping down on his tongue. He won't be able to eat if it hangs out either.

A tongue can hang out because it is injured, infected, over-extended, weak due to MBD or some other issue.

When the tongue is weak, they can also swallow it.

It's a definite emergency if it won't retract and may have to be amputated.

Back
Top Bottom