toes infected?

lele

Avid Member
what does this look like to you? I just noticed that the discoloration on his left foot seems to have spread. He has had a hard time grasping due to toenail loss, but now I am wondering if he actually broke them off or if something else is going on - fungal? The loss of clinging would be from toenail loss but he does not seem to be able to grasp well with this foot. His grasp in general is fine and his Ca level is fine, too so I know it is not MBD.

As you can imagine it is very hard to get a good pic of the underside of a cham foot so this is the best I can do for now. Going to call vet to see if he can get me in today.

448465228_9cf6a4bf2a.jpg

I can't quite make out the photo, but is it possibly a burn from hanging upside down below the basking light?

If it is fungal or a burn , try a bit of polysporin. I don't think it could hurt to try...

Thanks. The photo may look odd - you are looking at his two out toes on front foot and the round areas are where the toenails are gone. He doesn't hang upside down and his light is recessed so he cannot get burned. Also, w/o his toenails :( he couldn't cling anyway. I have put Bacitracin on it but due to location it does not stay on very long.

Called my vet, he is at a conference and won't be available until Monday :rolleyes:

Well the area does look tender with that redish coloration and the tips of the toes look a bit puffy. That red area almost looks like thats where he is focusing all the pressure/strength of his grasp since he doesnt have nails there to rely on - so maybe it has started to bother him.

My veiled lost a couple nails that grew back but when he lost them I never noticed any issue with him climbing/grasping. I hope the vet can do something for him. Good luck.

-roo

Well the area does look tender with that redish coloration and the tips of the toes look a bit puffy. That red area almost looks like thats where he is focusing all the pressure/strength of his grasp since he doesnt have nails there to rely on - so maybe it has started to bother him.

My veiled lost a couple nails that grew back but when he lost them I never noticed any issue with him climbing/grasping. I hope the vet can do something for him. Good luck.

-roo

interesting point about the pressure - makes sense! This photo really threw b/c I had no idea it was all the way down to the nail bed, which is what makes me wonder if the cause was something else - no claws on front feet at all. I mean he is over a year old and the screen climbing was a long time ago.

Vet won't be back until next Wed. but checked with Matthew Wheelock and he suggested doing a betadine soak daily so maybe that will stave off any further problems until I can get him in on Wed.

Thanks for your reply!
lele

Howdy Lele,

I agree with Roo. Pressure and friction combined with moisture and rough vine surfaces will wear the skin raw. Missing toenails means that he may end up grasping more tightly than with nails. You may even see rawness it in the fold at the center of the foot. I occasionally have it show up with one of my critters and I usually use Silvadene for a few days until it clears-up.

Back
Top Bottom