To work, or not to work, that is the question...

Often it is many small steps that change the big picture. Influencing one manager in one store is a good thing. Do your best to do your part with the hand you get dealt...no regrets.

When trying to fight disease in developing countries many poeple performing very small projects (like building a latrine/septic system) is often much more effective and sustainable than a big project like trying to build a water treament plant that locals do not have the knowledge or financial resources to maintain. I have no idea how that analogy fits but it seamed appropriate.

I already knew the answer to my question, I just wanted to know if you guys hate petco and petsmart just to hate them or if its legitimate.

Whenever an animal shows signs of sickness they take it to a vet, yes the vet might not know exactly how to treat the exotics, but in my case the petco near me uses Dr. Greek.

Secondly, they do not abuse their animals, they neglect them. There is a difference to those terms. They do no know how to take care of them so they follow the corporate husbandry print outs.

Regarding the poster above, i wish it were that simple, but as I already said they are send husbandry papers from corporate and if the store doesnt follow their husbandry (even if its wrong) and if corporate checks up on the store, the manager will get in trouble. Its messed up but thats how it works, so the only way to change things is to some how get the Corporate managers to change their print outs (which will never happen unless you can get television air time to point out what they are doing)

Unfortunately Petsmart is a large chain store and to get them to stop buying chameleons would take everyone on chameleon forums times 10. I would be caring for the chameleons daily and Make sure they are as properly cared for as possible. Yes I know what you are talking about when you say unsellable, but those animals are also up for adoption, free. That is how I got Molly. I would also be in charge of the back isolation room with all the sick/"defective" animals so I can keep watch on them and make sure they are being treated in the best way possible. I work at a veterinarian and know quite a bit about animals and ailments. I figure at least customers could buy an animal that is decently taken care of and I can show them exactly what they need to buy with extensive knowledge, not just "they need heat and UVB". I would also direct them to the screen cages and reptariums, not the tanks. If they don't like it they don't have to buy the animal.

my local petsmart hasnt had chameleons for atleast a year and a half, *bows*

and one that is a little farther south from me actually keeps their chameleons in large screen cages one cham per cage *gasp*! ( I didnt have any part of that though )

I think that you should take the job, granted you get it, and do your best at it. You can do everything in your power to better the lives of the chameleons, and other animals/reptiles, without necessarily supporting the way that Petsmart treats their animals. Just because you are making their animals sellable does not, by any means, mean that you are supporting the way that they provide for them. You are, in fact, doing what you can to actively change the way that they are cared for.

You can still inform customers about proper husbandry, etc, etc and that will only help the cause by a greater means. As long as you are pleasing the customers and your supervisor, you will keep your job.

I am saying this because I honestly believe that even if we, the informed mass, stopped buying from the chain stores completely, they'd still sell all of the same merchandise. After all, most of us already don't buy any of their reptiles/animals! Its the ignorant people that keep their business going, and unless we actually go out there and try to inform them (like by working at Petsmart!) then nothing will change.

I say, be proactive and do what you can. None of us are accomplishing anything by just sitting here and telling those who already own chameleons not to buy from the chains.

Even if you do end up getting fired, do you mind having that on your 'record' even though you helped some animals/reptiles?

I think that you should take the job, granted you get it, and do your best at it. You can do everything in your power to better the lives of the chameleons, and other animals/reptiles, without necessarily supporting the way that Petsmart treats their animals. Just because you are making their animals sellable does not, by any means, mean that you are supporting the way that they provide for them. You are, in fact, doing what you can to actively change the way that they are cared for.

You can still inform customers about proper husbandry, etc, etc and that will only help the cause by a greater means. As long as you are pleasing the customers and your supervisor, you will keep your job.

I am saying this because I honestly believe that even if we, the informed mass, stopped buying from the chain stores completely, they'd still sell all of the same merchandise. After all, most of us already don't buy any of their reptiles/animals! Its the ignorant people that keep their business going, and unless we actually go out there and try to inform them (like by working at Petsmart!) then nothing will change.

I say, be proactive and do what you can. None of us are accomplishing anything by just sitting here and telling those who already own chameleons not to buy from the chains.

Even if you do end up getting fired, do you mind having that on your 'record' even though you helped some animals/reptiles?

Well put. Yes I hope I get the job. Maybe not as many first time chameleon owners will be flooding into this forum saying how their chameleon is sick and they don't know why, they are doing everything that petsmart told them too :rolleyes: But so far no calls.

I would take the job and for the negative pshh it dosn't make any diffrents on how many chameleons are sold or not the clutches are still going to be hatched on time the only diffrents is the ones that don't make it to a pet store end up in worse care at the breeders there was a post about 2 months ago about one of these breeders that got fined they had over 1.000 reptiles that were nothing but bones so the more chameleons you can sell is actually a good thing. and it is great to beable to teach people the ins and outs on care for reptiles. SO TAKING THE JOB IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

Take the job if you want it mate! Best wishes, and you can make a difference! :)

Secondly, they do not abuse their animals, they neglect them. There is a difference to those terms.

LMBAO Really? Your not a lawyer in training are you? :D

"My client is innocent your honor, He did not kill the 7/11 clerk, he merely terminated his lifespan, there is a difference to those terms!" :D

Neglect IS abuse, regardless of policy or orders.

That said, I cast no aspersions on any particular store or coporate parent, Im not even in America, but I just couldn't let that one slide, sorry. :)

Last edited:
I had occasion to be in both a Petco (killing time before going to the Reptile Store in the next shopping strip that wasn't open yet) and a PetSmart (buying a hamster cage) today and neither had chameleons...every reptile I saw was of a hardy, easy to keep alive type..(bearded dragons...I swear, San Diego is overwhelmed with them...maybe they aren't so easy to keep alive as there are just a million smaller babies waiting in the wings).

There were some basic frogs, a couple of common to the area snakes and yes...bearded dragons...but otherwise, nothing...of course this is not prime time for buying chameleons but I don't think I've ever seen a chameleon at our local Pet Smart and as we buy our dog food there, we go fairly often.

Back
Top Bottom