Tips on keeping vivarium plants alive?

ukulelecham

Hey there! I've really been struggling lately to keep any plants alive in my chameleon's tank. Any plant I put in there ends up dying after a couple of weeks or months. I water them as needed and try to give them natural lighting from a window, but they always seem to wilt and droop. My chameleon's tank is a glass enclosure (because where I live it can get very cold and dry and a screen wouldn't help keep humidity in). Any advice? Thanks guys!

I have a 6500k linear daylight bulb plus a 15watt Sansi fullspectrum grow bulb for my plants, made a ton of difference. I really wanted the Jungle Dawn spotlight but too expensive so settled for the Sansi, very happy with it.

You can try setting up a bio-active vivarium. Once its set up plants stay alive for a long time and you don't have to clean or do any maintenance to it! There are a lot of really good you tube videos on how to do bio-active chameleon enclosures. Good luck!

Make sure you don't damage too many roots when you repot them and the roots are deep and stable enough into the substrate to grow.

I have a 6500k linear daylight bulb plus a 15watt Sansi fullspectrum grow bulb for my plants, made a ton of difference. I really wanted the Jungle Dawn spotlight but too expensive so settled for the Sansi, very happy with it.

I use Sansi lights too and love them. Of course, OP you want to make sure your cham's lighting is sufficient for him as the plant light does nothing for them (but the chameleons sure seem to like them).

I think @JacksJill is on the money - they're probably being over watered or getting swampy from poor drainage. NEHERPS' website sells hydroballs, but they also sold this product made from clay and/or recycled glass. It looks like chunks of gravel but its extremely light. That's what I'm suing for my drainage layer and am happy so far.

I ended up putting too much spag moss at the top soil level and once I clear most (but not all) of it out, my plants came to life. The moss is meant to absorb and keep moisture for humidity but I haven't seemed to have lost any humidity as a result. Also, my plants are very responisve to silkworm poop!

I ended up putting too much spag moss at the top soil level and once I clear most (but not all) of it out, my plants came to life. The moss is meant to absorb and keep moisture for humidity but I haven't seemed to have lost any humidity as a result. Also, my plants are very responisve to silkworm poop!
Where did you get your spag moss from?

Back
Top Bottom