Tips on increasing heat?

Coop

Avid Member
Lately it has been getting very cold where I live. Pete’s basking spots and heat do not give enough heat now, so his temps range from 75 to 65. Is there any better way to increase his temps? I have a repti-spot basking lamp and an incandescent bulb, plus a t5ho linear bulb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 80
Thank you! The incandescent bulb is pretty weak. This is it. What would be the best wattage?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 73
60-65f air is perfectly fine. Then just adjust basking for 85-90f and you are done. Its not shorts weather in the home land 365. You think all them panthers in the outdoors in Florida are getting sunny and 80 all year round 18 hours a day? Some of the more gutsy breeders wont bring them in even when nights are in the upper 40's.

PS: heat rises, so you might want to look at some reptile-tape flexwatt etc, and just put a few strips on the bottom of the tank and let it rise for a 10f gain.

Hi there! I'm in San Francisco so it's usually 70F in my house and 50-60s outside -- I originally had the 65watt incandescent bulb, and it didn't hit the spot so I used 100w incandescent instead to get his basking spot just right.

If it gets too hot, then I'd recommend raising the basking lamp higher to create more space between the lamp and the basking branch. Hopefully, this can help you gauge the right wattage for your place. :)

Update: I just got a 200 watt bulb. is this too much for him?
I have found using plain bulbs doesn't really work for my larger cages. I personally like to use the Zoo Med Reptibasking spot. I feel like those help direct the heat downward. They're shaped to do so. If you do that start with a low wattage. They get pretty hot. Otherwise, I think that 200w bulb is too high and, as another member suggested, get a temp gun to be sure. What's your setup like? Screen cage? If so you might have luck retaining heat by covering a few of the sides. I do that and it helps a lot. That way, you don't have to blast heat with a 200w bulb.

Also, if you're getting those ambient temps with a heat lamp on, what's your overnight ambient temp? Where are you located?

My temps are relatively the same where I live at all times, around 65-75. I live on the north California coast, near San Francisco. My thermometer just broke yesterday, but I tested the bulb with my hand and was able to keep my hand there for without it burning. I also do have a repti spot lamp, but it does not provide sufficient heat.

Only way you'll know for certain is if you can measure the temps. I'd recommend a temperature gun. They are super accurate and great for precise measurements and gradients.

I use a 150 watt CHE raised off the enclosure and attached to a control. Works great. If needed, I will also use a small room heater if the temps drop -- doesn't dry out the air too much but I also have a humidifier in the room (I'm in colorado.)

Thank you! I have been using a heater, but sparingly as I thought it dried out the air completely.

Hi there! I'm in San Francisco so it's usually 70F in my house and 50-60s outside -- I originally had the 65watt incandescent bulb, and it didn't hit the spot so I used 100w incandescent instead to get his basking spot just right.

If it gets too hot, then I'd recommend raising the basking lamp higher to create more space between the lamp and the basking branch. Hopefully, this can help you gauge the right wattage for your place. :)

How has the 100W been going for you? I live in the Bay Area as well and now that the temperatures have been dropping I am trying different ways to increases heat. Space heater does the trick but I’m not always home. How’s does your Cham like it?

Back
Top Bottom