Tips on force feeding

Skeeter_Boy

I couldn't get him to eat in 6 days at all. I tried and I could only get a syringe today. I've fed him a little less than 1ml and I watched him swallow. I dont think he's choking because he's not gaping or swaying too much. How much do I feed him today and how much do I increase by? How often do i feed him? If its every hour I'll stay home from school to take care of him

Force feeding is a very last thing you would do. This is for a sick cham. Not a baby that is having issues acclimating. You can end up causing more harm then good. Including aspirating them. If you have not been shown how to or read how to this is very dangerous because their airway is in the front of their mouth. What are you force feeding?

Did you make the feeder run yet? Did you get small crickets and load the run with them? Or try turning some loose in the cage to see if baby hunts them?

Force feeding is a very last thing you would do. This is for a sick cham. Not a baby that is having issues acclimating. You can end up causing more harm then good. Including aspirating them. If you have not been shown how to or read how to this is very dangerous because their airway is in the front of their mouth. What are you force feeding?

Did you make the feeder run yet? Did you get small crickets and load the run with them? Or try turning some loose in the cage to see if baby hunts them?
I made the feeder run and he didnt touch anything. No where near me sells small crickets until Wednesday and if I order them online they'd get here next week. I just smashed crickets with water so its liquid and I made sure to stay clear of the airway. It wasnt a lot and hes not choking but I'm not sure how to get him to eat now. When I got home from school he was sleeping at 3pm and i know that's not a good sign.

I made the feeder run and he didnt touch anything. No where near me sells small crickets until Wednesday and if I order them online they'd get here next week. I just smashed crickets with water so its liquid and I made sure to stay clear of the airway. It wasnt a lot and hes not choking but I'm not sure how to get him to eat now. When I got home from school he was sleeping at 3pm and i know that's not a good sign.
No more force feeding... Fill this out with as much detail as possible. We need pics of the entire enclosure as well lights down.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

No more force feeding... Fill this out with as much detail as possible. We need pics of the entire enclosure as well lights down.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
My chameleon:
Hes a ambilobe panther chameleon. Male. I've had him for 6 days and he is a juvenile, (is what the breeders told me) so I'm assuming a few months old.

Handling:
I try not to even touch him much. I had to move his cage so I had to handle him during that. I've probably only touched him the day I got him, (putting him in his cage and making sure he looks fine). The day after and today.

Feeding:
I'm placing about 8 crickets in his cage. Supplementing them with calcium no d3 for 5 days, calcium with d3 for one and a multivitamin for one. Although he hasent eating any of them. The brands are zoo meds repti calcium no d3, rep-cal calcium with d3, rep-cal multivitamins.

Watering:
I use Reptirain and the setting only allow me to mist for 60 seconds at most every one hour. I usually do 30 or 45 seconds every hour, but mist him more in the morning and at night. When hes misted he usually licks his lips, and I say him drinking off a branch once when I first got him. That's it.

Fecal:
It's more yellow than white, and a little watery. He has not been tested. There are no reptile vets near me that I know of.

History:
Nothing other than not eating or drinking.

Cage:
It's a screen reptibreeze large cage, 18 x 18 x 36.

Lighting:
I use a reptile basking bulb for heating, and a reptisun t5 HO 5.0 15w ubv light I have him on for 12 and off for 12

Tempature:
It's usually 65-61 at the bottom, and near 84 at the top I use two thermometers, one bottom and one top and a digital humidity gauge. I also have a thermostat for the head bulb set to 83
The lowest overnight temp is 60-55

Plants:
I'm not able to use live plants, I use fake ones. There are real sticks in there.

Placement:
My cage is in my room with a small curtain over the door so he doesnt see me. It's not by a fan and it's on top of my dresser, so high up. I have to use a stool to get to it.

Problem:
Not eating nor drinking. Sleeping during the day, dark colors.

Attachments

• 16098078717408104870033904230171.jpg
    16098078717408104870033904230171.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67
  • 16098078931092290927417988348314.jpg
    16098078931092290927417988348314.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 58
  • 1609808213072323951809667826027.jpg
    1609808213072323951809667826027.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Force feeding should only be done when there is no other alternative IMHO.

Try dripping water very slowly (1 or 2 drips per second) on the tip of his nose and when he starts to drink slip a cricket between his teeth and hopefully he will eat it.

Force feeding should only be done when there is no other alternative IMHO.

Try dripping water very slowly (1 or 2 drips per second) on the tip of his nose and when he starts to drink slip a cricket between his teeth and hopefully he will eat it.
I tried dropping some water on his nose, but hes not even opening his mouth. I'm trying not to like go at him too fast so I'm gonna leave him for a but with his mister on. What should I do?I have school tomorrow and im gone for 8 hours so no one can check on him. I dont think hes gonna drink on his own and he isnt too interested in opening his mouth for me

Do I just leave him be? I dont think hes gonna eat any time soon and I have ti go to school tomorrow, the pet store is getting small crickets in 2 days and the closest reptile hospital is 3 hours away. If it comes to a vet I'll have to convince my parents to drive me. I've asked them before I got one just incase it gets sick and they said no, so these forums are kinda my only option.

My chameleon:
Hes a ambilobe panther chameleon. Male. I've had him for 6 days and he is a juvenile, (is what the breeders told me) so I'm assuming a few months old.

Handling:
I try not to even touch him much. I had to move his cage so I had to handle him during that. I've probably only touched him the day I got him, (putting him in his cage and making sure he looks fine). The day after and today.

Feeding:
I'm placing about 8 crickets in his cage. Supplementing them with calcium no d3 for 5 days, calcium with d3 for one and a multivitamin for one. Although he hasent eating any of them. The brands are zoo meds repti calcium no d3, rep-cal calcium with d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Are you letting them loose or putting them in a cup?Are the insects the right size for the chameleon?

Watering:
I use Reptirain and the setting only allow me to mist for 60 seconds at most every one hour. I usually do 30 or 45 seconds every hour, but mist him more in the morning and at night. When hes misted he usually licks his lips, and I say him drinking off a branch once when I first got him. That's it. IMHO you're misting too often for too short a time. White or slightly orange urates mean good hydration...very orange means dehydrated.

Fecal:
It's more yellow than white, and a little watery. He has not been tested. There are no reptile vets near me that I know of.

History:

Cage:

Lighting:
I use a reptile basking bulb for heating, and a reptisun t5 HO 5.0 15w ubv light I have him on for 12 and off for 12

Tempature:
It's usually 65-61 at the bottom, and near 84 at the top I use two thermometers, one bottom and one top and a digital humidity gauge. I also have a thermostat for the head bulb set to 83
The lowest overnight temp is 60-55. Is the 83 where the chameleon sits? Whole cage should be in the mid to high 70's F during the day...being too cool may be slowing his appetite.

Plants:
I'm not able to use live plants, I use fake ones. There are real sticks in there. IMHO the plants should be real...well washed both sides of the leaves and nontoxic.

Placement:
My cage is in my room with a small curtain over the door so he doesnt see me. It's not by a fan and it's on top of my dresser, so high up. I have to use a stool to get to it. I would remove the curtain over the door.

Problem:
Not good that he's sleeping during the day. All of this could be related to low temperatures. Basking area (at the point the where he can sit) should be about 80F . The rest of the cage can be in the mid to high 70's during today.

My chameleon:

Handling:

Feeding:
I'm placing about 8 crickets in his cage. Supplementing them with calcium no d3 for 5 days, calcium with d3 for one and a multivitamin for one. Although he hasent eating any of them. The brands are zoo meds repti calcium no d3, rep-cal calcium with d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Are you letting them loose or putting them in a cup?Are the insects the right size for the chameleon?

Watering:
I use Reptirain and the setting only allow me to mist for 60 seconds at most every one hour. I usually do 30 or 45 seconds every hour, but mist him more in the morning and at night. When hes misted he usually licks his lips, and I say him drinking off a branch once when I first got him. That's it. IMHO you're misting too often for too short a time. White or slightly orange urates mean good hydration...very orange means dehydrated.

Fecal:

History:

Cage:

Lighting:

Tempature:
The lowest overnight temp is 60-55. Is the 83 where the chameleon sits? Whole cage should be in the mid to high 70's F during the day...being too cool may be slowing his appetite.

Plants:
I'm not able to use live plants, I use fake ones. There are real sticks in there. IMHO the plants should be real...well washed both sides of the leaves and nontoxic.

Placement:
My cage is in my room with a small curtain over the door so he doesnt see me. It's not by a fan and it's on top of my dresser, so high up. I have to use a stool to get to it. I would remove the curtain over the door.

Problem:
Not good that he's sleeping during the day. All of this could be related to low temperatures. Basking area (at the point the where he can sit) should be about 80F . The rest of the cage can be in the mid to high 70's during today.

They're both in a feeder and roaming. I can only get smaller crickets this Wednesday and the crickets i have are normal size. They're not too big for him but that might be it.

The mister I have only has the settings i mentioned before. I can only mist every 1 hour, 3 hours, 5 hours, and 12 hours for up to either 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds
The temperature in the basking spot is always 83 or higher, the thermostat turning it off. Where he sits it would be in the 70s, since the very bottom of the cage, where he doesnt go too often, is 65. He usually only sleeps that low.

I'm currently unable to get live plants in my situation. I can save up for live ones, but that'll take a few.

I removed the curtain, I'm not sure hes comfortable with seeing me in the same room with him.

I've only caught him sleeping during the day once when I got home from school, which was 4pm ish. My mom often checks on him if shes home before me and said she hasn't seen him sleeping.

If I need to, I'll make the temperature a bit more so the whole cage reaches 70

They're both in a feeder and roaming. I can only get smaller crickets this Wednesday and the crickets i have are normal size. They're not too big for him but that might be it. It's said that the insects should be the size of the space between the chameleon's 2 eyes.

The mister I have only has the settings i mentioned before. I can only mist every 1 hour, 3 hours, 5 hours, and 12 hours for up to either 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds
The temperature in the basking spot is always 83 or higher, the thermostat turning it off. Where he sits it would be in the 70s, since the very bottom of the cage, where he doesnt go too often, is 65. He usually only sleeps that low.
I would bump the cage up into the mid to low 70's and see if it makes a difference.
I'm currently unable to get live plants in my situation. I can save up for live ones, but that'll take a few. Do the best you can!

I removed the curtain, I'm not sure hes comfortable with seeing me in the same room with him. just don't be in his face and he should get used to you.

I've only caught him sleeping during the day once when I got home from school, which was 4pm ish. My mom often checks on him if shes home before me and said she hasn't seen him sleeping. Good to hear that he's not sleeping during the day.

If I need to, I'll make the temperature a bit more so the whole cage reaches 70

Back
Top Bottom