Tiny veiled, female (I think) Not feeling well, or just adjusting?

Hi there welcome to the forum.
With the chameleon kit make sure you are looking at the image @MissSkittles posted for you. The distance to the branch under the uvb is extremely important. If she was not getting the correct UVB prior than this could contribute to the eye closed.

If you are going to keep her you will need to upgrade the UVB to a T5HO fixture and 5.0 or 6% bulb asap. With this fixture you want 8-9 inches to the branch below it for the correct uvb level. I am glad you have already ordered this.

I will say she looks poorly. But in the end it is up to you if you want to take this on or not. It may be something she can bounce back from. But you want to get husbandry spot on.

And this is 100% a female.

She seems to be doing even better this morning. I think I'll keep her. Her eye is staying open, and I think you guys were right, it might be stuck shed. She's eating alot more too! The first day I only got her to eat 3 dusted crickets...now she eats as many as I'll offer (which is usually 15 tiny pinhead like crickets..) the ones she doesn't eat, I place back into the cricket habitat I set up. (Though I've had some escape and they now roam the enclosure, only to be picked off by her when they cross her path. As for drinking, she won't drink when I mist the cage, but she will drink if I use a modified dropper, until the little dripper gets here. Her poop is still normal. One of them had an undigested cricket leg in it, but the two after were back to normal. Been calling around find a trustable cham vet near me. Plan on having a decent convo with a few before picking. Then I'll set up her first appointment for an over all exam. Delivery dates where moved up on the light...should be here any day now! I also tested the blue bulb theory. It was colder than normal this morning...so I switched her basking light on for 10 minutes. She instantly showed me she doesn't like it. (Can include pics of before light was on, and after) so I shut it off and let her uvb on. Going to put a low watt house light in it just for a little warmth, but not a high wattage.

Can I start to give her some outside sunshine time? Or should I wait? She trust me it seems, she won't flash dark colors at me, but it my husband walks in, boy she's PISSED.

I spend about 30 minutes or so daily watering the outside plants...I have alot of young fruit trees she could hang out in that reside in the dappled light, under my oak tree.

Also added more live pothos from my collection...and some grape vines from my land.

Attachments

• 20221111_081303.jpg
    20221111_081303.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20221111_081534.jpg
    20221111_081534.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221111_081547.jpg
    20221111_081547.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221111_082837.jpg
    20221111_082837.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221111_082839.jpg
    20221111_082839.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 53
She is looking better. So I would not take her outside unless you have an enclosure for her... She is tiny and would be easily picked off by a bird.
Even when they are larger outside time has to be very closely monitored they can quickly get away or up too high into a tree. I prefer enclosures outside for adults. I have seen too many posts where a cham gets lost outside.

I’m so glad she’s doing better and your deciding to keep her💜 I was hoping for that outcome. I don’t think natural sunlight could hurt her as long as she’s not showing stress. I take my panther out everyday I can since he came home. He loves it!

I’m so glad she’s doing better and your deciding to keep her💜 I was hoping for that outcome. I don’t think natural sunlight could hurt her as long as she’s not showing stress. I take my panther out everyday I can since he came home. He loves it!
Always under strict supervision of course. Birds are dangerous and sneaky- outside enclosure is best if possible. Some use mesh hampers I’ve seen. I haven’t personally but it’s an idea she is tiny. 😊

Thank you guys for the advice and fast replies! I have a screened in porch I could set up a spot for her. She would never be left unattended. I'm glad she's looking/feeling better.
May I ask where you live? You just want to watch temps. Screen porch will reduce the UVI level so in shade there will not be much of anything. In full sun you will get UVI passing through but you have to watch temps. Full sun while it may say 80 degrees produces much hotter basking temps. If she starts gaping this is a sign to take her in. :)

May I ask where you live? You just want to watch temps. Screen porch will reduce the UVI level so in shade there will not be much of anything. In full sun you will get UVI passing through but you have to watch temps. Full sun while it may say 80 degrees produces much hotter basking temps. If she starts gaping this is a sign to take her in. :)
Florida.

Lucky year round outdoor time there. So just watch temps. Since you live in a hot and humid place the humidity can add to the heat exposure. But 30 minutes outside on a screen porch with you watching her should not hurt. I would wait until she settles into her home a bit more and becomes more used to you though. Maybe gets a bit more size on her. Babies can jump to flee from what they may think is a threat. So it can be quite shocking to have one jump from your hand and hit a floor and very dangerous.

I believe that you’re in or close to south Florida? I’m not aware of which vets in that area are good, but I can vouch for two in Orlando. I use Dr Bogoslavsky here https://myavho.com/ and have heard really great things about Dr Diaz and his wife here https://www.orlandoexoticveterinarian.com/ In previous posts I found where the forum’s expert vet finder (who used to live in the keys) was asked about S Florida vets, she advised they make the drive to the Orlando vets above. Unfortunately, so many exotics vets have little experience and very outdated knowledge about chameleons and too often they advise care better suited for lizards like bearded dragons.
As for taking little one out for some natural sunshine and vitamin D, until her proper uvb light arrives it may be worth it. However, do not leave her or take your eyes off her for even a fraction of a second. They are super fast when they want to be. I wouldn’t put her in a tree. I would either hold her or have her sit on a small plant that you can hold/carry.
I did try really hard to just be informative and helpful and not give the pressure of my personal opinion of what you should do with her. Now that you’ve decided though, YAY! 🥳🥰💗 She’s a little cutie and I know you’ll give her a fantastic healthy and happy life. I’m looking forward to you sharing her growth and progress and continued questions/learning about your sweet baby.

Back
Top Bottom