Tiny milky worms in isopod colony

AstroHutt

Hello! I’m starting a vivarium and ordered some Dwarf Tropical Isopods from Josh’s Frogs along with some CUC cuisine. I put a tablet in a day after they got here and left them for a few days in their container. While sifting through it today, I found a bunch of these little white worms. It appeared they were mostly concentrated around the CUC cuisine tablet, but I’m not certain. I removed said tablet for now. The worms are roughly the same length or slightly longer than the isopods, but much thinner. I have included a picture with the worm circled. The tip of a standard butter knife is next to it for a size comparison (the worm is small, you can’t see any obvious features. They are very squirmy and would sometimes wave their head/butt around in the air when exposed). The leading candidate from my internet searches is a fungus gnat larvae. What do you think? Any reason to be concerned?

Attachments

• 21443BF4-7AD3-4B99-8955-747D2B03D638.jpeg
    21443BF4-7AD3-4B99-8955-747D2B03D638.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 915
I took a picture of the bottom of the isopod container that is a little more clear. For reference, at the top of the picture is a blurry white adult dwarf isopod.

Attachments

• C90C9351-A334-49C1-A773-F9AAA9CB48A3.jpeg
    C90C9351-A334-49C1-A773-F9AAA9CB48A3.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
If you ever saw a herd of fugus gnat "worms" you would know that what you have is not them(hint they have black heads and look like longish maggots, and destroy plant roots / pot plants).

So they are not;fugus nat, fruitfly, nor grain moth.

Honestly they look like they are flat worms, but they have no heads.

My vote is they are pot worms. I cant think of any other "common" thing it could be.

PS: if you want nightmare fuel, just watch a video of fugus gnats crossing a road.

Thanks for the reply and input! Oddly, pot worms never came up in my searches, yet it looks and sounds exactly like them. It appears they are fine to inject into the vivarium and may even be beneficial. Also, I will never be able to unsee that video of the fungus gnats, thank you .

For any of those that come across this thread, I emailed Josh’s Frogs with the above pictures to get their input and they confirmed that they are pot worms.

Back
Top Bottom