Tiny black bugs in incubator?

WilcoxAE

Established Member
Issue is I have several clutches of eggs in vermiculite in my incubator. Well, one clutch had a lot of infertile eggs. They molded a little but when I went to take the bad eggs out, I saw the teeniest tiniest black bug crawling around the molded parts. Upon closer inspection, I noticed several milling about in the vermiculite and the itty bittiest teeniest tiniest white miniatures of the larger black bugs crawling on eggs that had yet to show any signs of being infertile.

What uh, what's going on? The tiny bugs almost look like thrips that you get on plants. Can they be killed with something that won't hurt the eggs? Is it possible to move the eggs after somehow cleaning them to a new bin? More importantly, do these bugs prey on the eggs or merely the mold? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like springtails. Thrips would not be in the egg media, as they do not feeding eggs or anything in the incubation container. Springtails feed on molds and bacteria films, so they are a good thing, but may be an indicator your incubation media is too moist and you should microwave it, before using to sterilize it, in the future. Posting a photo will confirm what you are seeing. If they do not fly, that is the most logical explanation.

Back
Top Bottom