Time interval between clutches

My virgin veiled female is about 11 months old and laid her first ever clutch of infertile eggs. There are 42 of them. I was amazed by the clutch size.
So I wish her next clutch to be fertile, and the male is long ready. So how long should I wait to give the female some time to recover before the first mate? I heard a friend saying a month or two between the first infertile clutch and a real mate. But I certainly want to give her a bit longer interval for recovery.
I don't know if I wait too long then will she develop another clutch of infertile eggs?

When breeding females the most common situation is you will breed her, she will lay a clutch around 30 days out, she will recover for 2 weeks, then she will start to develop a retained clutch and lay again in about another 30 days. What you can do, if she is willing, is to breed her at the end of that two week recovery to ensure a higher fertility rate of the second clutch.

So in theory you could breed her after two weeks of laying. But, since they are infertile she will most likely not develop another clutch immediately so I would try to wait a little longer so she has plenty of time to recover. She will most likely lay two clutches from the first breeding so the more time in between now and then the better for her and her health

Thanks for the instruction!

When breeding females the most common situation is you will breed her, she will lay a clutch around 30 days out, she will recover for 2 weeks, then she will start to develop a retained clutch and lay again in about another 30 days. What you can do, if she is willing, is to breed her at the end of that two week recovery to ensure a higher fertility rate of the second clutch.

So in theory you could breed her after two weeks of laying. But, since they are infertile she will most likely not develop another clutch immediately so I would try to wait a little longer so she has plenty of time to recover. She will most likely lay two clutches from the first breeding so the more time in between now and then the better for her and her health

Just be sure the female is receptive to the male before you put them in together.
It is one month later now from the female's first ever infertile clutch. The female has yellow spots, although not very bright yet. I tried introducing her to the male yesterday, she gaped and seemed unwilling to mate. After the male chasing her a few rounds, I separated them.
Will try tomorrow again. Could it be that she is still not ready to mate? Or is another infertile clutch has started to develop? If it is the second case, it would be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom