thrift store treasure!

Shawntea

Swung into my local Hospice to see if they had anything I could convert into an outside enclosure for my pygmies. $5.00 birdcage with 2 feeding trays and slide out bottom became outdoor playground with help of hot glue, screen, adhesive Velcro and zip ties!
IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

look ma no branches...
IMAG0288.jpg

put that screen down and stop peeping at me!

Great find and idea! I am going on a treasure hunt this weekend for sure. This past weekend I went to the beach looking for some drift wood but didn'y find anything great. Oh well I will have to wait until the winter that is when the drift wood comes in the most.

that's very funny actually... the past week i went to the thrift store looking for something i can turn into a new chameleon enclosure. no success. i ended up going to Petsmart and bought a bird cage. same design, with the slide out tray on the bottom, and 2 feeding dishes that hook onto the metal.

Great find and idea! I am going on a treasure hunt this weekend for sure. This past weekend I went to the beach looking for some drift wood but didn'y find anything great. Oh well I will have to wait until the winter that is when the drift wood comes in the most.

manzanita bushes works great for pygmies

that's very funny actually... the past week i went to the thrift store looking for something i can turn into a new chameleon enclosure. no success. i ended up going to Petsmart and bought a bird cage. same design, with the slide out tray on the bottom, and 2 feeding dishes that hook onto the metal.

same as mine

That looks like my baby's cage! https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-first-little-guy-here-today-63906/ I already had it from, well birds! I also had a good find today, I went to a couple carage sales and found a hampster cage with close together- enough bars to keep my little little guy in! I'm bleaching it down tomorow, i'll slap some sticks and maybe a plant in there, and BAM outdoor enclosure
Edit: 1 Dollar!

love love love the great stuff you can find at thrift and yard sales. Woman selling me the cage seemed a little wierded out I wan gonna use it for chameleons. She kept looking at me like I had a tail ;)

That looks like my baby's cage! https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-first-little-guy-here-today-63906/ I already had it from, well birds! I also had a good find today, I went to a couple carage sales and found a hampster cage with close together- enough bars to keep my little little guy in! I'm bleaching it down tomorow, i'll slap some sticks and maybe a plant in there, and BAM outdoor enclosure
Edit: 1 Dollar!

I like the opening for your cage better. I blocked off the two side doors, and the one I left access to is so much smaller than the one you have. :cool:

Really? I stll think mine is too small. Im in the process of designing my adult cage and one thing im adament in is needing to have the entire front open, right down the middle. Its just too hard to get a bottle in there for mistings and stuff like that. I got a similar look when i said i needed the gerbil cage for a cham. Basically everystep of the buying stuff for my cham process i had people stare at me. lowes employees are a bunch of starers

very good find and good idea. but i suggest putting them in complete shade. pygmy chameleons do not bask. they need lower temperatures. infact i do not suggest letting your pygmies out on sunny days. this just IMO, but i think its a smart idea

Are you talking to me? I don't have a pygmy just a baby veiled. I gotta think of a way to give him cool enough areas in a small cage out in the sun
but i have to do it, summers practically over and I'll feel terrible if he has to go the whole winter without seeing it again

I moved them into the sun for about 20 mins, actually there was dappled shade. Sun in picture to show enclosure. Temps in mid 70's with mist, and did it mainly for little girl who just layed and was lookin pekid. Sun perked her up a bit.

I also <3 zip ties, but hubby hates when I get a hold of em, he usually has to replace entire stash in his tool bench :p

Back
Top Bottom