Thought I'd Share

Chiichan

So for a while I was using rocks to cover the dirt in our potted plants, as is the suggestion from many owners, to prevent the curious chams from consuming the dirt.

Regardless of using containers to put our feeders in, crix can still jump out and some supers still find some magical way to get out occasionally and can fall to the potted plants below! (and having beetles appear a few weeks later, unfortunately my chams dont care for them so they're just a nuisance) :mad: Well both worms and crix can squeeze their way though the rocks and dig into the dirt.

I tried to find small pieces or squares of pvc mesh at home depot and ended up buying a roll of the stuff for 7 bucks. I only needed a bit to use in their plastic feeders as shown in the photos.

Well, I didn't want the small crix for the babies to disappear into the rocks so I decided to hot glue the mesh to the pot to cover then dirt instead! I also cut rectangular pieces, fold them into thirds, hot glue one end and fold it in half (to have the ends stick together. Wait a bit for the hot glue to cool down just enough to be able to press it underneath the four drain "holes" to block it off and prevent the small crix from hiding underneath the pot. :eek:

I know in the photo it shows an opening, I made sure it overlapped on the other pot I did and hot glued it together so it would stay. Still works even with the small hole opening for the plant. The crix hardly make it to the bottom because my little monsters inhale the crix. :D

The stuff is so much cheaper than the rocks, and the poop and leaves are soooo much easier to clean off!!! Wish I figured this out sooner.

Anyway, thought I'd share the idea, unless it has already been thought of. Just loved how much better it is than the rocks. :D

Attachments

• half gallon feeder container.jpg
    half gallon feeder container.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 147
  • small feeder cup.jpg
    small feeder cup.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 93
  • pvc plugs.jpg
    pvc plugs.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 114
  • pvc guard.jpg
    pvc guard.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 116
  • pvc.jpg
    pvc.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 107
This is a really good idea:) I just put a plant in with my Chevy Cham, and never thought about haven't the crix and such in the dirt, so I am going to do the same as well. I liked your half gallon crickets feeder you made:) I made my mine a feeder out of 2 3in couplings and about 2 foot pvc pipe, glue couplings on bottom with river rock for weight and the opposite side I out his roaches and worms in there. As soon as he sees me going near the feeder bowl he knows I have put something in there and comes on over.

This is a really good idea:) I just put a plant in with my Chevy Cham, and never thought about haven't the crix and such in the dirt, so I am going to do the same as well. I liked your half gallon crickets feeder you made:) I made my mine a feeder out of 2 3in couplings and about 2 foot pvc pipe, glue couplings on bottom with river rock for weight and the opposite side I out his roaches and worms in there. As soon as he sees me going near the feeder bowl he knows I have put something in there and comes on over.

Thanks! The feeder cups were free-99 to do since the containers are recycled. The mesh gives their feeders the ability to roam more and look appetizing. :D

Back
Top Bottom