Thkning about bamboo???

rcagosto

Is bamboo poisonous or not??? i wondering if it could be used because it would make a cage look very nice lol. so can bamboo be used, is there a certain kind, or what?? lol thanks

Robert

I have really many bamboos in my terraria and have no problems with it. And this plant can grow everywhere- in the shadow, on the heat, etc. it resists almost everything...

I made an experiment- I divided them into two parts. the first part got only water (you know, you just give them in a cup or whatever). and the second part was planted into dirt (doesn´t matter if it contains sand or not, just what you can find) and watered once a week. And both survived :D So it´s up to you;)

Oh thanks I think I'm goin to plant it in dirt lol it will look better. Thanks. How would I go about planting. Regular top soil? I don't have to add sand or anything?

While I also keep bamboo in two of my chameleon cages, remove the plants immediately if you notice them eating off of the stem parts. They contain toxins both in the leaves and the stems, but in the stems it is much more concentrated. My female veiled often takes bites out of the leaves with no ill effects. Just watch for the habits of the individual cham.

I suppose that it depends on the species of the bamboo. I don´t think they (or the species which are sold in here, they are not bamboos actually but some kind of a different plant which looks like a bamboo- visit my gallery, there´s a photo at the window showing the bamboo I use) can hurt your chameleon. But maybe I´m completely wrong... And if you have a male chameleon, he won´t probably eat it.. Just try it and you´ll see.

"Lucky" bamboo is actually a Dracaena... this is a quote from the ASPCA:

"Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) belongs to the Agavaceae family. Members of this family can potentially produce vomiting (occasionally tinged with blood), depression, weakness, drooling, loss of appetite and uncoordination. In cats, abdominal pain, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing and elevated heart rate have also been reported. based on this information, it is advisable to keep this plant out of the reach of pets."

Real bamboo is considered to be non-toxic, but some varieties have phases every few years of toxicity related to its age and growth stage. Kinda strange stuff.

Heika

Real bamboo will release hydrogen cyanide when the stalk is broken. Cyanide as most people know is a toxic gas. The intent of the bamboo is not to kill things that try to eat it rather make it self taste very bitter and nasty. Most animals avoid it. The ones with the highest content are found in South America. One your chameleon more then likely could not break the stalk even if it wanted to. I bonsia my bamboo trees. This keeps them short and the stalk is now actually underground. I would check before you just grab some bamboo. Some of these can get to 150' naturally and can quickly get out of hand. Five varieties are considered edible all excede 100' feet naturally. These plants are toxic. The South American varieties along with improper cooking techniques have lead to death in humans.

Last edited:
Five varieties are considered edible all excede 100' feet naturally. These plants are toxic. The South American varieties along with improper cooking techniques have lead to death in humans.

Jordan,

I am a little confused by the above statement, I think you are saying...

There are 5 varieties that are edible non toxic but get to 100'. The South American varieties are Toxic... is this right?

Do you have a list/link of the toxic/non toxic ones? I think Bamboo would look great in a cage, could be placed around the outside and become a great natural barrier.

Thanks for the information I will continue to search but if you already have the info I would appreciate it.

Will

Interesting stuff. I would of never known, bamboo you keep at home could be so toxic. Any scientific names for not so toxic bamboo, and can you get them in your local plant store. Is the bamboo that asian people be selling in the street be used? Thanks.

Interesting stuff. I would of never known, bamboo you keep at home could be so toxic. Any scientific names for not so toxic bamboo, and can you get them in your local plant store. Is the bamboo that asian people (No offense) be selling in the street be used? Thanks.

Wslinky you correct what I was trying to say right.

That was a post I simply should have omitted. I read non toxic and just started rambling away, it was late and I appoligize for confusion. Odds of you coming across any of these varities are probably rare at best. I do use bamboo. It is some Asian species. I would not fear using them in a cage.

I would be concerned with the hiegth. I let mine grow to a good size. Chopped off the stalk. I did leave a couple rows of leaves so it repaired itself quickly. The leaves I left seemed to have just take the place of the orginal stalk but is growing way slower and the leaves are way smaller.

There are some varities that grow in Madagascar I believe.

If you are interested in what toxic compound I am referring to I do have a link for that. Non for the bamboo itself. I did look it up when I got mine.

www.inchem.org/document/jecfa/jecmono/v30je18.htm

Last edited:
Wslinky you correct what I was trying to say right.

That was a post I simply should have omitted. I read non toxic and just started rambling away, it was late and I appoligize for confusion.

No problem I do the exact same thing most of the time, doesn't matter if it is late or not. Thanks for the information.

Will

Back
Top Bottom