This waiting game sux!

Tinydino

Avid Member
Its been 3 weeks since the first of her receptive/gravid colours showed up.
Its been 3 weeks of pacing. Picky eating. Beating herself and her plants up.
She has finally slowed down some. She stays dark green most of the time now.
Won't eat anything but silk worms and Bsfl.
(The crickets just die in her feeders) the first isnt easy to get. But i just got the bsfl today. FINALLY!!
I even got a hold of some dubias.. nope. Not even the slightest interest.
By the way. Roaches freak me the hell out. And if I never see or touch one again I would not complain. Im not really dissapointed about her not wanting to eat them.
I think shes getting a slight belly. But all over I think she has slimmed down over the past weeks.
Before all her insane behaviour started. I had a plan to keep track of her weight.
But with her having a mental breakdown I decided not to even bother to try.

To add insult to injury. She looks like a shed is coming up soon too. My poor girl.

I honestly cannot wait for this to be over!!!

Attachments

• 20210119_172930.jpg
    20210119_172930.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210119_172937.jpg
    20210119_172937.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 100
Uggg I feel for ya. Has her weight fluctuated at all?

Get small roaches they are less freaky. I can not handle the big ones and I stick to Dubia because the others make me freak out. But there is nothing wrong with silkworms and bsfl. If you can keep getting silks that is.

Get small roaches they are less freaky. I can not handle the big ones and I stick to Dubia because the others make me freak out. But there is nothing wrong with silkworms and bsfl. If you can keep getting silks that is.
Its a 1 1/2 hour drive to get silkworms and of course they are short lived.
The dubias are pretty small. They arent exactly allowed here. But I will try anything right now.
I got lucky. And found a Cham breeder that also breeds bsfl.
So I picked up 300 of the little suckers this morning.
She took 6 big(still white ones) this morning.
Its the most shes eaten in soo long.
I'll get a pic of the creepy crawlies. Lol
I touch everybother feeder with my bare hands.
But these gave me the willies.
And I thought super worms were bad!!😅

Its a 1 1/2 hour drive to get silkworms and of course they are short lived.
The dubias are pretty small. They arent exactly allowed here. But I will try anything right now.
I got lucky. And found a Cham breeder that also breeds bsfl.
So I picked up 300 of the little suckers this morning.
She took 6 big(still white ones) this morning.
Its the most shes eaten in soo long.
I'll get a pic of the creepy crawlies. Lol
I touch everybother feeder with my bare hands.
But these gave me the willies.
And I thought super worms were bad!!😅
oh if your in FL do the smaller discoids then. THey are basically the same as the dubia but a bit faster.

oh if your in FL do the smaller discoids then. THey are basically the same as the dubia but a bit faster.
I'm in Ontario Canada.
Here's the creepy crawly haul from today.
I tossed a nickel in there for size reference

Attachments

• 20210119_174459.jpg
    20210119_174459.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210119_174521.jpg
    20210119_174521.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 68
I'm in Ontario Canada.
Here's the creepy crawly haul from today.
I tossed a nickel in there for size reference
Yeah so those are the small ones. EIther discoids or dubia. I dunno hard for me to tell them apart.

But to cure you of this get someone to show you an adult Dubia on their hand. @jamest0o0 my buddy sent me some that were not even full grown. But I sat and screamed for a good 30 minutes trying to take them from the container and move them to the bin. I gotta tell you I never worried a bit over the small ones after that experience. :hilarious:

Only other feeder that gives me the creeps are Blue bottle fly larva because they straight up look like maggots... When I was brand new I got some and did not know what to expect... I freaked the hell out and threw them in the freezer to kill them off. Now I am good with them. We have an arrangement lol.

Yeah so those are the small ones. EIther discoids or dubia. I dunno hard for me to tell them apart.

But to cure you of this get someone to show you an adult Dubia on their hand. @jamest0o0 my buddy sent me some that were not even full grown. But I sat and screamed for a good 30 minutes trying to take them from the container and move them to the bin. I gotta tell you I never worried a bit over the small ones after that experience. :hilarious:

Only other feeder that gives me the creeps are Blue bottle fly larva because they straight up look like maggots... When I was brand new I got some and did not know what to expect... I freaked the hell out and threw them in the freezer to kill them off. Now I am good with them. We have an arrangement lol.
Yeah.... NOPE. I'm good.
I will keep trying to feed these buggers off this week.
If she still doesnt want them they will go to my friend for his tarantulas.
The first time I got the bsfl the guy at the pet store said he didnt like how much they looked like maggots. I don't mind them.
I'm a farm girl. I can handle most bugs. And gross things..
But I think theres a mental block with the roaches. I nearly cried today when I had to touch them.
The breeder did say she picked out some little ones for me to try. She said they get really big..
😖

What types of roaches are legal in Canada? Red runner/Turkistan are great! They only get to the size of crickets, are usually bright red, move more than dubias, and usually elicit great feeding responses (along with green bananas)! I hated roaches when I got into the hobby, but I wanted the max variety for my boys, so I got multiple species and tolerate them now (still only grabbing them with foot-long tweezers as well🤣). Tried the green bananas for flying when I first ordered roaches, but froze them all because I was too terrified! So I currently only keep roach species that are non-climbers and non-flyers (dubia, red runner, orange-headed, and ivory-headed). I buy green bananas occasionally for added variety. I am looking at horseshoe crab roaches and others right now, to add in as more roach species as well!

What types of roaches are legal in Canada? Red runner/Turkistan are great! They only get to the size of crickets, are usually bright red, move more than dubias, and usually elicit great feeding responses (along with green bananas)! I hated roaches when I got into the hobby, but I wanted the max variety for my boys, so I got multiple species and tolerate them now (still only grabbing them with foot-long tweezers as well🤣). Tried the green bananas for flying when I first ordered roaches, but froze them all because I was too terrified! So I currently only keep roach species that are non-climbers and non-flyers (dubia, red runner, orange-headed, and ivory-headed). I buy green bananas occasionally for added variety. I am looking at horseshoe crab roaches and others right now, to add in as more roach species as well!
Technically??
None are legal here. 🥸🥸

1st pic Today
2nd pic Jan 11
3rd pic Jan 1st
I cant tell if shes getting a belly or not.

Attachments

• 20210120_123541.jpg
    20210120_123541.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210111_122106.jpg
    20210111_122106.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210101_125448.jpg
    20210101_125448.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 65

Just added some pictures to give a visual of the last 3 weeks.
I dont see much change aside from her missing be bright happy colours.
I havent weighed her.

Just added some pictures to give a visual of the last 3 weeks.
I dont see much change aside from her missing be bright happy colours.
I havent weighed her.
Yeah I can not tell either... But if her temps are right along with the feeding amount, some can skip having to lay too. Or even just have a very small clutch of 12ish. You do not see the huge visable change when they carry less. This is why most will weigh them frequently and chart it. To know when it is close and have an idea for without eggs weight and with eggs weight to know for future laying.

Yeah I can not tell either... But if her temps are right along with the feeding amount, some can skip having to lay too. Or even just have a very small clutch of 12ish. You do not see the huge visable change when they carry less. This is why most will weigh them frequently and chart it. To know when it is close and have an idea for without eggs weight and with eggs weight to know for future laying.

Shes won't hold still for anything right now. Which is why weighing hasnt happened.
Her basking temp is 28°c sometimes its 27 or 29 depending on the day.
She was eating everyday still when she started showing colour. But I was cutting her back slowly like was recommended to me.
But she saved me the trouble and pretty much stopped eating completely. Somedays she will eat 2 crickets worth. Some days nothing.

She's pretty young still. She will be 6 months on the 24th.
I thought I would have more time before her first clutch.
Her behaviour is definitely different. The lack of appetite. She still paces some.
And of course her colour

Shes won't hold still for anything right now. Which is why weighing hasnt happened.
Her basking temp is 28°c sometimes its 27 or 29 depending on the day.
She was eating everyday still when she started showing colour. But I was cutting her back slowly like was recommended to me.
But she saved me the trouble and pretty much stopped eating completely. Somedays she will eat 2 crickets worth. Some days nothing.

She's pretty young still. She will be 6 months on the 24th.
I thought I would have more time before her first clutch.
Her behaviour is definitely different. The lack of appetite. She still paces some.
And of course her colour
Yeah I do not have the hands on experience with females the way I have it with males. But I know personality with my males change quite a bit once they start maturing. Pacing etc to explore and claim their territory.

Has she shown her receptive colors yet? Blues and golds?

Yeah I do not have the hands on experience with females the way I have it with males. But I know personality with my males change quite a bit once they start maturing. Pacing etc to explore and claim their territory.

Has she shown her receptive colors yet? Blues and golds?
She has been showing them since December 27th
This was her on Jan 15th

Attachments

• 20210115_134321.jpg
    20210115_134321.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210115_134357.jpg
    20210115_134357.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 66
I am legitimately going to need to see a therapist by the time this is over.
If the vet wasn't 2.5 hours away and the windchill wasnt -15°C.
I would probably be running there every 5 mins!.
Logically I know shes just doing her thing at her pace.
But the way my brain works. Every little change is cause for alarm or at least worry. .
Shes so dark and unhappy looking. I miss my pretty green happy girl.
I know her basking spot is good. Shes not cold.
Her humidity is good.

Is there an emotional support group for owners of gravid females??

Back
Top Bottom