This UVB bulb

MattandRicco

Established Member
I do not use this I use a t5 HO 5.p reptisun....

But I just wanted everyones thoughts and opinion on this newer CFL bulb see picture below.

Id like to know if anyone uses this or has used this and or if theyve tested it with a solarmeter.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-013612_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-013612_Chrome.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 54
I do not use this I use a t5 HO 5.p reptisun....

But I just wanted everyones thoughts and opinion on this newer CFL bulb see picture below.

Id like to know if anyone uses this or has used this and or if theyve tested it with a solarmeter.

Thanks
I have actually tested this very bulb. Got unearthly readings of like uvi 40+ near the bulb, and within 6” I was down to uvi 3. Move two inches to the left, or right of directly under the bulb, and it’s in the .5-1 range. I’m not trying to sh@t on these bulbs, but a lot of tweaking would be required to make them work for medium to large sized chams.

I have actually tested this very bulb. Got unearthly readings of like uvi 40+ near the bulb, and within 6” I was down to uvi 3. Move two inches to the left, or right of directly under the bulb, and it’s in the .5-1 range. I’m not trying to sh@t on these bulbs, but a lot of tweaking would be required to make them work for medium to large sized chams.

Crazy how unreliable/unstable they are, very scary, why do they even sell these, reading of UVI 40+ jesus thats enough to fry any living being/creature

Crazy how unreliable/unstable they are, very scary, why do they even sell these, reading of UVI 40+ jesus thats enough to fry any living being/creature
I know. They might be made to work, but it takes a solar meter and a lot of tweaking. Honestly, t5’s (Or halides if you’re into some big enclosures) are the best solution for as long as your chams are indoors. For the rest of the time, outdoor keeping is almost effortless.

I know. They might be made to work, but it takes a solar meter and a lot of tweaking. Honestly, t5’s (Or halides if you’re into some big enclosures) are the best solution for as long as your chams are indoors. For the rest of the time, outdoor keeping is almost effortless.
Yea for sure ill always stick to t5s for my cham

Have you ever heard of Mega Rays UVB/UVA full spectrum bulbs?

Yea for sure ill always stick to t5s for my cham

Have you ever heard of Mega Rays UVB/UVA full spectrum bulbs?
They’re MV bulbs, I think. Again, they can really push concentrated uvb over distance, but they’re older technology, and if you’re wanting that kind of power, you’re better off with a halide. In either case, a solar meter would be important to really dial in the uvi s . I actually own both a Sunray halide, and several mega rays. Yes, they pump out the uvb, but they also get hot, have intermittent spectrum shifts, and don’t stretch out the footprint well. Personally, I have a soft spot for halides, but I just haven’t found a way to implement them that is easier/more efficient than t5s. I get better uvi distribution in my 6 foot tall enclosures with t5s.

Back
Top Bottom