This dagone heat wave

ChappyMcChap

It's 103 and humid here in knoxvegas today. Ive had heat exhaustion once already this week, hopefull it wont happen again. the chams are keeping cool enough. I can't monitor temps constantly since I'm working. My room is open and the fans are going but our central air unit is having a hard time keeping up. I use blue 40watt bulbs for my basking spots in the Juvie cages and 50 and 60 watts in the larger cages. I had perfect temp gradients 76 middle of cage to 86-88 in the top and basking spot now however I'm seeing 79 on thermometer in cages, 83 on the home thermostat and spikes in the low to mid 90s in basking spots. I don't want to turn the incandescents off and prevent metabolic activity but should I consider a separate timer that can some how turn the heat lights off for the hottest part of the day? Currently they all come on at 7am and go off at 7:30pm. I upped the humidity purpose misting cycles from every 2 hours to every hour for 1min during the afternoon hoping this would keep the temp cool but should I remove that in favor of turning the heat lights off earlier?

I hear ya! Hotter over in East TN than here in Memphis (I'm right below Mempho). It's 102 here right now & has been all afternoon. Horrible!

I had to move all the chams to a different room of the house because the top story was just too hot and I couldn't keep it cool enough for them. :(

Im right here in Knoxville also and my personal weather station out in my yard registered 104 with a heat index of 109. My AC has been running non stop and I've been having problems keeping the chameleons humidity levels up these past few days.

It's 103 and humid here in knoxvegas today. Ive had heat exhaustion once already this week, hopefull it wont happen again. the chams are keeping cool enough. I can't monitor temps constantly since I'm working. My room is open and the fans are going but our central air unit is having a hard time keeping up. I use blue 40watt bulbs for my basking spots in the Juvie cages and 50 and 60 watts in the larger cages. I had perfect temp gradients 76 middle of cage to 86-88 in the top and basking spot now however I'm seeing 79 on thermometer in cages, 83 on the home thermostat and spikes in the low to mid 90s in basking spots. I don't want to turn the incandescents off and prevent metabolic activity but should I consider a separate timer that can some how turn the heat lights off for the hottest part of the day? Currently they all come on at 7am and go off at 7:30pm. I upped the humidity purpose misting cycles from every 2 hours to every hour for 1min during the afternoon hoping this would keep the temp cool but should I remove that in favor of turning the heat lights off earlier?

I'm stationed at fort Bragg, nc.

This is what I'm dealing with...

2a02bfa6.jpg

I'm stationed at fort Bragg, nc.

This is what I'm dealing with...

2a02bfa6.jpg

Thank you for your service! Also condolences on your heat being that bad. Although I suppose you do get an ocean breeze of some sort. It will be down in the 90s next week and hopefully it will rain. Until then I will turn heat lamps off for a couple hours each day. This really is unbearable I don't wanna do anything but sit in the ac and read.

Thank you for your service! Also condolences on your heat being that bad. Although I suppose you do get an ocean breeze of some sort. It will be down in the 90s next week and hopefully it will rain. Until then I will turn heat lamps off for a couple hours each day. This really is unbearable I don't wanna do anything but sit in the ac and read.

Thank you, thank your support is much appreciated. It's crazy hot outside and majorly humid... Like 60+% or more daily. Lucky our ac in our apt rocks and it stays around 72• constantly.

All of you dealing with nasty heat issues keep this in mind for your Chams:

None will get sick or die if you deny them some of the heat producing bulbs/ballasts for a few days. However heat does kill.

That said, turn off what you feel comfortable with until the heat wave passes.

Thanks for the advice, I think we will see some relief tmrw. I've just been turning off the higher wattage bulbs for four hours during the evening, after they have fed and had a few hours to digest.

Back
Top Bottom