thinking of using liquid calcium - advice ?

little leaf

Avid Member
I am thinking of changing Mason to liquid calcium , as some know , Mason has no tongue - and he drinks strangely, so he does not get the water all thew his mouth, and the cal/ powder is building up again in his mouth - I wash his mouth out, but he hates it- if I were to change to liquid calcium , is it just as good as the powder ? I have a huge jar of it, but have never used it before - anyone have any advice, thoughts on this - anyone use it instead of powder?

Hello i have been using the liquid calcium spray on my Ambilobe panther since day one, he is now 5 months and thriving,, once my bottle of liquid cal spray runs out i will likely switch to powdered calcium dusting because everyone told me this is the tried and proven method... however i must say the liquid calcium is super convenient to just spray on my crick and worms before i feed them off, also when i must dust with D3 and with my Re-Cal Multivitamin, i spray first with the liquid cal spray and the powdered supplements stick right onto that and onto my feeders, thanks good luck

I've used two methods to liquid calcium. The first one, I'd give a drop or two whenever I dusted the other's feeders. If I ever used this type again, I would most likely inject it into the body of the feeder.

The second type was a spray. I'd spray it on the feeders just before putting them in the enclosure. I probably wouldn't use this again, because it was a pain and I didn't see any better results as compared to the dust

Chase

Littleleaf are you familiar with House of Chameleons? ([email protected]) it's a chameleon rescue in California. They just started selling vet formulated liquid calcium. $15 a bottle. I just hate to see you switch when it's been working so well for you.

Littleleaf are you familiar with House of Chameleons? ([email protected]) it's a chameleon rescue in California. They just started selling vet formulated liquid calcium. $15 a bottle. I just hate to see you switch when it's been working so well for you.

yeah, I am leery to change, but the powder is building up in the edge of his mouth on his gums, and he got mouth rot after we did all the deep cleaning on him when he first came to the rescue- but we kinda thought he would just because of how much gunk the vet got out, and he had sores - I pretty much have that gone - but powder keeps getting in the little ridge - he is doing great now- and if I can just get the last of the mouth rot to heal, but i think the powder is irritating it - the last bit just wont heal - I was maybe only going to use it until the gum heals - I just dont want to do anything to stop him for gaining weight or improving - it is from the vet, but I have never used it- you know how it is - if its not broke........ lol - I just wondered if using the liquid calcium would give his mouth the break it needs to finish healing - then go back to the powder - I know of HOC - love them !! :D she is also going to be getting her 501 stat/ - I have been following Crusty- ( I forget his new name :eek: - but what a happy story that ended up :) )

Remier :) yes I'm a major fan of HOC- id stick with liquid calcium. Atleast until he is totally healed!

If it were me, I'd definitely switch him to the oral calcium glubionate. They absorb the liquid so much better than the power and you want have that build up in his mouth. My vet would be happy to sale you one. I can PM you his email address if you are interested,

While it hasn't been experience with chameleons, I have had bearded dragons for years using only liquid calcium-- I have provided it in the water source for feeders, on feeders, and on their veggies without any issue. I've also done the same with leopard geckos in their water bowl, since leaving a dish of calcium out for them makes me uncomfortable (since I can't control how much they use, I worry they can consume too much despite it being convention to provide it). I imagine that liquid calcium is just fine, though I feel that one would really have to measure the theoretical consumed calcium in dust as compared to liquid to find some sort of equivalency. I imagine the liquid is far more dilute.

It sounds like the sencitive chose, I would dripp water on his nose untill he start to drink and the switch to the liquid calcium

Goodness I read your first post completely wrong little leaf! Lol I thought you said he was already on the liquid calcium! I'm so crazy! Lol I'd totally switch if I were you!

Back
Top Bottom