Thinking about getting a Jackson's, tips/ warnings are welcome.

Benclark

So I have had a veiled chameleon for almost a year now and he is doing very well, however, I was thinking of adding a Jackson's (separate enclosures of course). I know the very basics of Jackson care but I wanted to do my due diligence and get all the research done before seriously considering buying one. What goes into their care, and is it similar to veiled? I know I am leaving this pretty open-ended but I appreciate any advice.

Jackson's live at cooler temperatures in the wild and so need less of most things than a veiled. You've heard about the night time drop already. They also need far less supplements and less basking time and temperatures. Personality is more shy and less aggressive than the average veiled. Most of mine will hand feed and aren't that shy when hungry. My females stalk me when I'm in the room near feeding time.
IMG_2449.jpg

Jackson's live at cooler temperatures in the wild and so need less of most things than a veiled. You've heard about the night time drop already. They also need far less supplements and less basking time and temperatures. Personality is more shy and less aggressive than the average veiled. Most of mine will hand feed and aren't that shy when hungry. My females stalk me when I'm in the room near feeding time.View attachment 289138
Amazing pic! 🤣

Jackson's live at cooler temperatures in the wild and so need less of most things than a veiled. You've heard about the night time drop already. They also need far less supplements and less basking time and temperatures. Personality is more shy and less aggressive than the average veiled. Most of mine will hand feed and aren't that shy when hungry. My females stalk me when I'm in the room near feeding time.View attachment 289138
Thank you! What about dusting crickets? What kind of supplements ( if any) will I need, and how often should I dust?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/acksons/
This is from the forum care sheet and may work with what you already have. There are other options if you want. Chameleon Academy has a good one also.
"Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/acksons/
This is from the forum care sheet and may work with what you already have. There are other options if you want. Chameleon Academy has a good one also.
"Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."
That was extremely helpful!

Is that a feeding door? Is it open always? That is so cool!

I love my Jackson’s chameleon. She may be lacking in the color spectrum but is still very expressive in her moods. The main differences have been posted with the supplementation and night temps. They are a montane species and some research has found them to thrive on the higher end of the recommended 3-6 uvb range, but that will vary a bit depending how much vitamin d is in their bodies from the supplements. Another thing to keep in mind is, if you get a male, the horns will make maneuvering through dense twigs, branches, and foliage a little bit difficult. Good luck ☺️

Thanks for the advice! Fortunately, I live in New England so that night time drop is for sure doable.
Same here! I have had my Jackson’s for a little over a month. I had a veiled for 5 years prior, I find that meeting the temps and humidity over night are much easier than a veiled. Keeping the humidity during the day under 50 % at times is challenging (Mass is pretty humid) but I have found a good balance ! I got my Jackson from @JacksJill . Definitely recommend!!

Same here! I have had my Jackson’s for a little over a month. I had a veiled for 5 years prior, I find that meeting the temps and humidity over night are much easier than a veiled. Keeping the humidity during the day under 50 % at times is challenging (Mass is pretty humid) but I have found a good balance ! I got my Jackson from @JacksJill . Definitely recommend!!
Great! I’m headed to a breeder near me in Connecticut Monday to get my new friend.

Back
Top Bottom