Thinking about getting a Chameleon, Having trouble with Terrariums

VeggieSam

Hi guys, I'm all very new to Chameleons and I recently got interested in getting a Veiled Chameleon. (I have been very interested in reptiles/amphibians all my life and want to try something new for a change instead of fish.) And i've done all the research, been to the stores. And i'm having a bit of an issue. I'm on a budget for money wise and need to find the cheapest tank but mose efficient one possible, I was wondering if this one was okay...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070859

I've read that Chameleons don't do well in a glass aquarium.. but this one says it has proper ventilation? If not then I can always talk my mom into the more expensive ones... But lowest prices are preferred. :)

Thanks!

I recommend going into your local craigslist and browse, you may get lucky. I got my Chams baby cage for free along with his basking done, linear bulb fixure, and also other cool stuff and all for free. I got very lucky also with a used 24x24x48 all screen cage for only 20 dollars. :D Dollar tree is also a GREAT place to pick up Chameleon supplies.

That one might be a little too big for the space i'm thinking about putting my chameleon. How about this one that I found.

http://www.reptmart.com/p-2258-aluminum-screen-cage-16x16x20-black-for-sale.aspx

Perfect size for the space and for a good price

veiled chameleons get fairly large and the size you wanted is too small as he grows

the minimum for them to live in is 2ft x 2ft x 3 ft, or 2 x 2 x 4

maybe a smaller chameleon is better like a jacksons or a k. multi

or you can use the glass and get cute little pygmy chameleons

Oh really? Well I might have to go to the dollar tree if my mom finally can let me get it! She wants me to wait 'till summer, UGH. Thanks for the help though guys! :)

Hi guys, I'm all very new to Chameleons and I recently got interested in getting a Veiled Chameleon. (I have been very interested in reptiles/amphibians all my life and want to try something new for a change instead of fish.) And i've done all the research, been to the stores. And i'm having a bit of an issue. I'm on a budget for money wise and need to find the cheapest tank but mose efficient one possible, I was wondering if this one was okay...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070859

I've read that Chameleons don't do well in a glass aquarium.. but this one says it has proper ventilation? If not then I can always talk my mom into the more expensive ones... But lowest prices are preferred. :)

Thanks!

Maybe wait until you're not on a budget to get into keeping chameleons. Just my 2 cents and you can take it for what it is, but if you're on a budget for an enclosure what happens if your chameleon gets sick and you need to take it to the vet?

Oh really? Well I might have to go to the dollar tree if my mom finally can let me get it! She wants me to wait 'till summer, UGH. Thanks for the help though guys! :)

Your welcome, our Dollar tree sells really nice fake vines with foliage, smooth river rocks for your plants, organic soil for repotting, and I use their brown postage paper to wrap my cham cages.:)

That one might be a little too big for the space i'm thinking about putting my chameleon. How about this one that I found.

http://www.reptmart.com/p-2258-aluminum-screen-cage-16x16x20-black-for-sale.aspx

Perfect size for the space and for a good price

You are going to need bigger than that. DIY sells that size and more. Of course they are out of stock currently. But they are the cheapest.
As Ace said you will need bigger. Or just go with a different chameleon species. That doesnt require much space.

Maybe wait until you're not on a budget to get into keeping chameleons. Just my 2 cents and you can take it for what it is, but if you're on a budget for an enclosure what happens if your chameleon gets sick and you need to take it to the vet?

Good point. I agree. Better safe than sorry.

Yeahh.. That's why we're waiting until summer time after my sister get's college all together and my parents don't have to worry about the college prices. Haha so when the time comes maybe i'll have enough to get a bigger one.

Also, make sure you really have done all the research. There are many, too many, people who sign up on the forum who "think" they know it all, but are greatly mistaken.

I'd suggest you write everything down on how you are going to keep you cham and let the experiences keepers give you suggestions in order to make your cham happy. Do this before you get it, and not say things that you'll do later. You have to start right in order to keep on track.

Finally, like said before, if you are on a budget for the cage, you should really think twice about the chameleon. They are not a cheap pet to have. Also, space wise, an adult male veiled takes A LOT of space. a 2X2X4' cage is the smallest one I'd recommend for an adult male. The bigger the better. You have a few weeks before summer, so get going on your research. Most answers are right here on the forum, and everyone is happy to answer!

Back
Top Bottom