Thinking about a chameleon, would love advice!

LittleRainbow

Hello, recently I lost my boa constrictor to old age, she was a good old snake but after having a large reptile for the last few years I'm thinking about getting back to a small lizard.
I have had anoles, bearded dragons, geckos, mountain horned lizard, corn snakes, boa constrictors usually older and sick reptiles that I've taken on and given a home to till their last days.

I've always liked chameleons but the cost vs lifespan of the animal has always kept me from getting one, but now that I have no reptiles in my home I'm thinking about chameleons again.

So I'm looking for advice on breeds to look at, I'm very interested in a panther but only because I like the look of them.
I want a chameleon for a very hot "rainforest plant room" average temps are 80-85 degree Fahrenheit. I'm looking at a wood and mesh screen housing over glass.
I'm in BC Canada, so if you know of a breeder or a chameleon that needs a home in the area please let me know, I would rather pick up then have the reptile shipped.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Hello, recently I lost my boa constrictor to old age, she was a good old snake but after having a large reptile for the last few years I'm thinking about getting back to a small lizard.
I have had anoles, bearded dragons, geckos, mountain horned lizard, corn snakes, boa constrictors usually older and sick reptiles that I've taken on and given a home to till their last days.

I've always liked chameleons but the cost vs lifespan of the animal has always kept me from getting one, but now that I have no reptiles in my home I'm thinking about chameleons again.

So I'm looking for advice on breeds to look at, I'm very interested in a panther but only because I like the look of them.
I want a chameleon for a very hot "rainforest plant room" average temps are 80-85 degree Fahrenheit. I'm looking at a wood and mesh screen housing over glass.
I'm in BC Canada, so if you know of a breeder or a chameleon that needs a home in the area please let me know, I would rather pick up then have the reptile shipped.

Thank you for any advice.

your in the right place.the temp of that room sounds a bit hot for a panther i think thats closer to their basking temp.although maybe when in a cage it may provide a good temp drop.chameleons like to move around to thermo regulate.if you click on resources at the top of the page and read through the caresheets you can see what type of cham may suit you best. the high temps sound good for housing a veiled i think

I would say that veileds are better for an environment like that. And they are great starter chameleons as well. There are two breeders in Canada on here that I know of. Correct me if I'm Wrong anyone? But I think one of them is a site sponsor?

Cool thank you, the lights for my plants are 12 hours on and 12 off and the far side of the room where I plan to set up the cage might be a little lower, but average temp at the hottest is 82.
I found an older veiled female that lost her tail that I'm thinking about but I want to really read up and have my set up perfect before I start thinking about a purchase.

This site and It's resources are great, lots of good reading.

12 and 12 on the lights is perfect for chams.if its a female your looking out check out the laying bin blogs and also members tend to keep females at lower temps to slow down egg production.

Back
Top Bottom