Think he will shed this away?

luevelvet

Avid Member
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to gather a few opinions on what folks think about the attached pick. I noticed it when we brought him home but thought it would just shed off. He hasn't shed since we've owned him, but, better to play it safe and ask for some advice.

sooo... what do you all think?

Thanks,

Luis

Attachments

• DSC_1953.jpg
    DSC_1953.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 221
Looks to me like a lil ... dunno what to call it, but looks like it got caught in the cage door maybe..? im not sure.. :p

People will help, im sure

hey do you free roam your crickets? cause that may be from crickets chewing on your little guy at night. I think that there is possibility that some of it will shed out but it all depends on how deep the cut is.

It should heal up and work its way out when he sheds. If it is an open wound you should treat it. If it is just a scab then just leave it alone and let it take its course.

It's a little scab. I noticed he has a few tiny dots around his body that is scabed. they almost remind me of claw marks some of them get if not taken out of the incubator in a timely fashion, they end up trying to walk all over each other resulting in something similar. Nothing seems to be getting worse and he eats decently, well, he has grown a few grams since we acquired him, so i'm not overly concerned but just thought I would play it safe and ask.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes, im guessing it will just shed off at this point...

Thanks everyone,

Luis

I'm not an expert on dinosaurs but it looks to me as if an overgrown prehistoric cricket chewed on him a bit. Let it heal up, and if it isn't off by the next shed, something else could be wrong.

I'm not an expert on dinosaurs but it looks to me as if an overgrown prehistoric cricket chewed on him a bit. Let it heal up, and if it isn't off by the next shed, something else could be wrong.

Scabs don't shed off with each shed.... My Melleri has had some issues with small cuts and they don't just shed off.

Don't pick at it either because you'll just make it bleed. I made the mistake of picking dried skin near a scab like that and it pulled off the scab causing my guy to bleed.:eek:

Oh no I wasn't saying it should shed off - I was thinking as long as it usually takes to shed it should be gone by then - unless chameleon healing time is long than a human's? Anyways, I hope she gets better!

Yeah, I had no intention of picking it off, for the reason you stated. I'm used to them taking a few sheds to heal little scrapes like this and based on the feedback here I'm sure he'll be fine. He has a few spots on his body that are similar but much much smaller. You can see one in the same pic above just past the base of the tail...

Thanks everyone... :)

Oh no I wasn't saying it should shed off - I was thinking as long as it usually takes to shed it should be gone by then - unless chameleon healing time is long than a human's? Anyways, I hope she gets better!

Reptiles in general take a lot of time to heal. Most wounds leave marks and take much much longer than humans. When I was at the vet Greek told me he'll leave stitches on a reptile (I think he said, I could be wrong) two-three times longer than a dog or cat.

Back
Top Bottom